Got Roos? Stew by weekend if not rehomed

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by StupidBird, Jun 13, 2011.

1. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    8 of 11 chicks are roos. Feb hatch by Red Roof Hens. Pictures to follow, I hope.

2 Blue laced Red Wyandottes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 Grey Orphington - very heavy and handsome

[​IMG]

1 Buff Orphington - also a looker

[​IMG]

1 Black Frizzle Cochin

[​IMG]

1 cochin with heavily feathered feet in buffs, blacks and tans.

[​IMG]

Black Australorp?

[​IMG]

We're keeping the silkie.

Sure, I'd like something in trade, since I'm a bit too soft to do these in. Maybe next time. But they're maturing, and I like my neighbors, so Sunday is BBQ time unless someone else needs nice roosters. No shipping.

EDITED!!! to add photos, and family members are all changing their minds on which rooster to keep. Opinions welcome!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    did you get these from Shannon?if so i think your "grey" orpington is a lavender orpington.i know she has nice lavender orps.
    most people would freak if you stewed a lavender orp.
    she also has blue orps so he could be a blue which is also good.
    please post a picture and i am sure you can sell him if that is indeed what he is.
    if he is not,eat well.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  3. StupidBird

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Thank you dinahmoe! I've edited to add the photos of every single rooster; the family wants to keep one or two. Your comments have stirred an intense discussion of which rooster to keep! Nobody is going into the stew pot it seems, even though DH is naming them Stew, Potpie, Soup, etc. Not one of these wise crackers have ever butchered a bird before. I do not waste good breeding this way either.

Some of the boys are in the old tractor to try and settle all the feather pulling until numbers are reduced.

4. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    wow!
    i think the "grey" orp is a blue.very pretty but then again i am partial to any chicken that is blue.sorry you have to make this decision on which ones to keep and what to do with the others.they are probably all nice to,which makes it eaven harder to stew them.

if the black australorp?, is from the same hatch ,it is most likely a black orpington(from the B/B/S)
    the wyandottes looks like a splash and a BLRW.
    large fowl frizzles are uncommon also.
    ok,i am of no help becuase all of the roos you have are very nice. [​IMG]

good luck to you and maybe they can find a flock of their own somewhere.i don't have any of those breeds so if i get any calls for those i will direct them to your way.

5. StupidBird

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    NOT HELPING [​IMG]

Dang. DH just happened to need to take a memory stick with all the photos copied to it - to work. Maybe some of the other chicken people need fancy roos.

The black and the blue are very friendly. In fact, none of the roos act up yet except when I grab a hen trying to hide under a rooster. Pecks only. The black frizzle is very large, almost as large as that blue orphington.

And I see my breeds ignorance is vast. *sigh* I want them all.

6. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    LOL, loving the discussion. [​IMG] Which part of GA are you in? I can talk to DH, we may be interested.

7. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:not ignorant.its just that you have alot of very nice roos that are rare to most people-esp. to non BYCers.have you tried listing them on craigslist.i would list them individualy as to not get chickens traders but sometimes thats what you have to do.
    other than the buff and the smooth cochin,you just don't get these at the feed store so someone out there has to want these.

i really am trying to help [​IMG]

8. StupidBird

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    ok, i've been up since 5 am listening to the crowfest.

We're in the Loganville, GA area. I've left messages with the 4 H people. Hey Dinahmoe, you want one? can meet in Eatonton...I'm frequently there.
    Craigslist when I wake up - was just trying to avoid those weirdos. Will be careful, not meet at my house, any thing else. So, start at $30 or trade? I need some hay and other items...

9. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    sorry but i have all the boys i need and i don't have any of those breeds.i know all to well what its like in the morning but mine are around 4am.most of the folks i have met on craigslist have been really nice.just ask alot of questions thru email first.if people are willing to drive a good ways then they are pretty dedicated.i have had folks drive 2 hours to get one bird,then of course when they see the others,usually leave with 2-3 more.good luck with them.

10. tay_boe

tay_boe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Quote:Lol I drove several hours for a few chicks and eggs! But they are sooo worth it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by