Got scalped...and I made it worse! :(

Discussion in 'Quail' started by wbruder17, Dec 24, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    One of my A&Ms got scalped. I tried to help it by putting BluKote on, and the head is doing fine....but the BluKote dripped into its eye! I tried to clean it, but the eye is messed up! It doesn't open it anymore. [​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    get a bottle of saline (contact solution is great...the tip allows you to get some pressure behind it), and rinse the bajebus out of that eye!!!

3. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    It's just irritated maybe? I had a horse I had to use that on, and the cut was on her brow. Basically same thing happened... the eye was not happy for three or four days, but then it teared up enough to clear on its own. I don't know if this helps, but maybe give it a couple of days and see if the hen can 'eye booger' it out on her own??? [​IMG]

4. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:Tried that.... a few times, but its been several days now and we are leaving tomorrow.

5. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:I had it happen before with my Polish rooster, and his eye got better, so [​IMG]

But there aren't really any "boogers". The eye is just closed now. I tried to open it up a bit to see, but the eyeball, was like, not there. Rolled up maybe?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  6. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    Quote:I had it happen before with my Polish rooster, and his eye got better, so [​IMG]

But there aren't really any "boogers". The eye is just closed now. I tried to open it up a bit to see, but the eyeball, was like, not there. Rolled up maybe?

could be... to avoid the irritant... I have spent so much time with horses and cattle that I'm no expert my any stretch of the imagination, but I do know my Butterscotch didn't form any mucous for the first couple days.... my guess is that it stings to the dickens and takes time.

If not, get some erythromyacin (sp) to lube the eye for a bit...?

7. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    #1. Don't beat yourself up! Most folks have killed their share of birds with what they thought was kindness....GUILTY!
    #2. Coturnix have a crazy mutant healing power far beyond those of mortal birds.

Don't get me wrong, I keep all sorts of pharmaceuticals on hand, but for a simple "Scalping" down to the skull bone, no medicine is required. Just remove to a climate controlled wire bottom pen. No wood shavings, no sand/dust, and an open top flat feeder/bowl. Plenty of clean water.
    If it has one good eye, and can see how to eat and drink, it will most likely recover.

Death pecking is both eyes gone...Cull! Crop pierced....Cull. Most everything else is a matter of time until it heals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by