Got screamed at by the neighbors..

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by crocodile girl, Jan 6, 2008.

1. crocodile girl

crocodile girl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2008
    Well, it was feeding time early this morning for my american alligator, Duchess. I'm grabbing chickens (it was a rooster-kill day, too many fights have been breaking out in my shed) here and there and throwing them into my cart (It's an old shopping cart I bought from a friend who owns a supermarket). Funny how they never have the sense to jump out...anyways, moving on.

I wheel dinner to her enclosure, and then I get a call on my cell. A neighbor is at my gate, upset becuase her neices are over her house (and they'd like to visit my ranch to see the animals) and thinks one of my animals might kill them (remember that one tiger at that zoo?). I asked if we could talk about this while I work, she says yes, and I go back to the enclosure.

The stupid roos are still in the cart. I play the xylophone (found an old one at a garage sale, it was a great deal) to let Duchess know she's getting fed (Alligators are smarter than you think). Then as Duchess comes up to the fence, I whack a jersey giant roo on the head to kill it and I toss him in.

The woman was hysterical. She's all yelling at me for cruelty to animals. I explained that the reason I kill the roos first is so they won't suffer. Then she says "well if they were alive at least they'd have a fighting chance!".

What chance? There is an adult american alligator in that enclosure! No bird is going to last long in there. As the lady's
    yelling, I'm listening to her with another dead chicken by the legs. Poor duchess, waiting for more food, nudges the fence a bit to get my attention. That lady just ran. I laughed while I fed off the rest of the roos...The whole thing was just too funny.

2. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow. What a visual.................... [​IMG]

3. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    I thought my yard was full of weird stuff, you have me beat. LOL. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  4. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    Ah, the circle of life...

5. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    well nice to see Duchess got dinner and a show LOL

Julie

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

well nice to see Duchess got dinner and a show LOL

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    wow - that's a mental image i've never had before :eek:

Will you be posting pictures of Duchess? I'd love to see!

Brenda

8. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    AN ALLIGATOR? :eek:

All the while I am thinking..."that's probably the name of one of the chickens...how clever!"

Then it hit me...

AN ALLIGATOR! [​IMG]

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I used to have 3 columbian red tailed boas and I almost always killed the rats (or sometimes rabbits) before I fed them. If I didn't kill them, I'd at least knock them out. When you feed a captive animal, the circumstances aren't the same as in the wild, so it's not fair to the snake to throw an animal in that immediately tries to defend itself. Then you are just asking for your pet to be injured. It's comical to me that your neighbor went into hysterics about something she doesn't understand. I know the chicken wouldn't really be able to hurt the alligator, but you're right about the not suffering part. I felt the same way about the rats and rabbits.

10. TomOBedlam

TomOBedlam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2007
    Colbert, GA
    What do people think alligators eat, kibble???

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by