Got silkies...they're very thin!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by perolane, Jul 12, 2010.

1. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Picked up 3 silkies yesterday....they are appx. 5 months old. I've never had silkies before, but I really like their personalities!! Knowing how hard they are to sex until they're mature...one has a more pronounced comb than the other 2 so I hope I have a roo & 2 pullets. [​IMG]

Under the fluff, they seem very thin to me...the breast bone is very pronounced. Is this normal for this breed & age??

Pat

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    They sound a little thin to me, and at 5 months old you should be able to tell the sex much easier then if they were actually still chicks. I would get them some scratch to add along with their feed to fatten 'em up a bit. The only time I ever feel the breast bone on my silkies is when they have been broody and sitting on eggs. They only stop to eating eating breaks once a day then... and happen to lose quite a bit of weight. They shouldn't before they are laying age... and at 5 months old they are coming up on laying age!

3. perolane

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Well I thought so, but never having had them before...you never know.

After handling them today, the poor things are nothing but fluff & bones!! I put a large pan out when we got home yesterday filled with chick starter/grower mash , free choice scratch, & some garden greens....and a big waterer with fresh water & electrolyte powder. They seemed very hungry...attacked everything like they'd never eaten before!! They seem content & happy now 24 hours later! We cut hay two days ago & I put a large pile of it in with them today. They're rooting around in it like pigs in mud...just chirping away!!

I think they were very overcrowded where they came from...couldn't take a step without tripping on a chicken! Perhaps these younger ones didn't have much of a chance at feeding time. I think they'll like it here [​IMG]

4. oldhen514

oldhen514 New Egg

Jul 12, 2010
    I had 5 silkies, 5 barnevelders, 2 polish and 2 banties. I loved the silkies. Last week a fox got in and killed 4 silkies and 1 barney. Made me so sad. I wouldn't have known it was a fox because it carried them away but my neighbor saw it kill one of his banties.My silkies seemed thin too, I think they were about 5 mos. old. I feed them a good variety but they never did put on much weight. The barnies are getting big and are delightful. Banties are too cute. The buff polish are a pair. The rooster is very aggressive and mean to the other chickens. Is it best to keep them separate? I am thinking of isolating him until I want some eggs fertilized for hatching. I intend to get some more silkies so my lone one will have some buddies. [​IMG]

5. perolane

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Sorry for your loss oldhen [​IMG]

6. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Check them and make sure that they don't have mites. That could be a reason for not putting on weight also. This time of year is terrible for those pesky little buggers!![​IMG]

7. perolane

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Thanks sunshinesilkies.....mite check & baths if needed were on my list today...I got side tracked with company but will get to it in the morning!

8. perolane

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    No mites...but they all got a bath anyway!! [​IMG] I am starting to think that they are younger than the 4-5 months I was told. Large wing feathers & foot feathering seem to just be coming in...most still wax-wrapped. Any ideas on age???

I know how old my chickens are but never could guess age on others, especially breeds that I'm not familiar with.

Oh...they are eating like crazy!!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  9. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    [​IMG] I'm glad they have a new home. If you get pictures we could help.

10. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    my silkieis relativly thin compared to some others, but i always thought it was cause he's "head rooster" and let the others all eat before him [​IMG] make sure they have plenty of feed available, and check them all for mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by