1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Got some AWESOME quail pens!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SkyWarrior, Dec 28, 2011.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Occasionally you luck into something. [​IMG]

A pet supply store in my area is sadly going out of business. However, they have custom-made bird/rabbit cages for free. Heavy-duty and 72x26x26 constructed of wood, snake mesh and plexiglass. This one has 3 compartments and while I really wanted two more, I didn't have the truck space and I sadly won't be able to get more before they close, unless I can con a neighbor to go with me and get another one. [​IMG]

Anyway, I now have three nice-sized compartments for newer quail as I hatch them. I'll be cleaning the heck out of them and bleaching them, but they're nice! Really nice!

2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Congrats, what a great deal [​IMG]

3. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Awesome find!!

4. dt1958

dt1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Down South
    Great find !!! I am currently building mine now for my first quail egg hatch.

5. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    talk is cheap...where the photo's!

6. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:agreed

7. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Okay, since you asked:

Here's the whole bank.

[​IMG]

Here's a closeup shot of the front with snake mesh and a Plexiglas door.

[​IMG]

And here is a top shot.

[​IMG]

Yeah, it's dusty and needs cleaning, but the price was right!

8. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    wow that is PERFECT, obviously you are going to clean it, I would throw a nice coat of paint on it and call it good

I dont remember are you into button quail or coturnix? If its cots you could make a false floor in there with wire and line the wood bottom with sand or shavings, that way they are off the floor and out of their own poo and when you want to clean it you could just lift the wire floor and clean it out.

Either way that is an amazing find, congrats.

9. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    My joy for you in finding awesome cages ( at a beyond awesome price!) is second only to my jealousy!! [​IMG] Looks like just a bit of elbow grease and you're good to go!!

10. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Yeah, I lucked out. My DH and I aren't handy, so building a quail cage was going to be a bit of a headache. Now, I don't have to. [​IMG]

I finally told my DH that I was getting coturnix eggs in the mail. He said "Why am I not surprised? You've got quail pens and now you want to fill them up!" [​IMG]

I have two scale quail that are doing well. They're flighty little things, and I got a free cage for them that is bigger than the carrier they are currently in. It has a mesh bottom, so they'll stay cleaner. Between them and the coturnix, I should have enough for meat and eggs. Not to mention the sheer pleasure of seeing the little guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by