Got some CODEX DE from the feed store !!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Guinea Goonie, Feb 13, 2009.

1. I went to the local feed store and finally asked if they had food grade DE. Turns out they keep at least 5 bags in stock.

Bought some for 25 bucks and NO shipping. I was really happy about this. A 50 pound bag should last a good long time.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Great! I go through about three bags a year. I kept asking the county co-op to get some so I didnt have to drive 20 miles to get it and just found out they did...my supplier was charging $24/50# and the co-op is charging $29.95 for theirs, but not as much gas to go get it. I used to get it at a feed place in TN, but they are now charging $45/50#, too much for having to drive an hour away.

3. Bullet

Bullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    Mt. Pleasant
    Quote:what is food grade de?

4. One can only use "codex or food grade" DE for animals. DE that is used for swimming pool filters or that can NOT be used in Food will be detrimental to the health of an animal and may cause death.

The food grade is called and used as a "decaking agent".

5. Bullet

Bullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    Mt. Pleasant
    Do you know if you can get it from a store like tractor supply? or would I have a better chance at going to a feed store?

do you use it for your chickens all the time?

Thanks!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No you cannot get it at TSC, Lowe's or Home Depot. Custom Milling supplies my suppliers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by