Got some mystery chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lushland, Mar 10, 2011.

1. lushland

lushland In the Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    My husband and I went to the feed store yesterday and ended up getting some chicks. We couldn't figure out what kind they were so we had to have them! [​IMG] They get their chicks from Estes Hatchery so I looked on their website but they didn't have much variety and I still couldn't figure it out.

The first one was in with the black sex links. There were a couple that looked like it but all the rest were black. There were no other chicks in the store that looked like it so I don't think it just got put in the wrong bin. It's a dark brownish red but was labeled black sex link. It looks like it's feathers are coming in brown. Can a black sex link be brown or is it something else?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next 2 were in the rainbow layers bin. There was no list of possible breeds. We hadn't seen chicks like them before so we got them. They are yellow with gray backs. It looks like their tiny little feathers that are coming in are white. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Songster

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    i have no idea but they sure are cute

3. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    Could the first one be a red sex link? It looks similar to the ones at my TSC right now. I don't know what the other 2 chicks are, but boy are they adorable!!!

4. lushland

lushland In the Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    I don't think it's a red sex link. They had those at the store but they were all lighter than our chick.

5. jjstroz

jjstroz In the Brooder

Feb 25, 2009
    Chillicothe, MO
    I got 8 black sex links from orscheln's yesterday. There were at least 25 of them in the cage and I just randomly grabbed eight chicks that had clean bottoms, upon closer examination at home I did end up with one chick that was quite a bit more reddish/brownish than the others. It's similar to yours. Also about half of the chicks have a reddish brown tinge to their beaks and the others have black beaks! It did make me second guess for a minute what I had gotten. I dug around on the internet and see that there's quite a bit of variation in what a black sex link can look like as an adult so hopefully all is well.

As for the greyish yellow chicks....I'm racking my brain. I got some of those two years ago....they just made it out to the coop when we forgot to shut the door and lost all our chicks to a predator. I had tried to erase those from my memory bank. I'm thinking that they were going to lay white eggs. Still thinking!

You could always email your pic to Estes Hatchery. They'd know for sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: