Got some mystery chicks!

lushland

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 7, 2011
My husband and I went to the feed store yesterday and ended up getting some chicks. We couldn't figure out what kind they were so we had to have them!
big_smile.png
They get their chicks from Estes Hatchery so I looked on their website but they didn't have much variety and I still couldn't figure it out.

The first one was in with the black sex links. There were a couple that looked like it but all the rest were black. There were no other chicks in the store that looked like it so I don't think it just got put in the wrong bin. It's a dark brownish red but was labeled black sex link. It looks like it's feathers are coming in brown. Can a black sex link be brown or is it something else?
79297_black_sex_link_3.jpg

79297_black_sex_link_1.jpg

The next 2 were in the rainbow layers bin. There was no list of possible breeds. We hadn't seen chicks like them before so we got them. They are yellow with gray backs. It looks like their tiny little feathers that are coming in are white. Any ideas?
79297_mystery_3.jpg

79297_mystery_2.jpg

I don't think it's a red sex link. They had those at the store but they were all lighter than our chick.

I got 8 black sex links from orscheln's yesterday. There were at least 25 of them in the cage and I just randomly grabbed eight chicks that had clean bottoms, upon closer examination at home I did end up with one chick that was quite a bit more reddish/brownish than the others. It's similar to yours. Also about half of the chicks have a reddish brown tinge to their beaks and the others have black beaks! It did make me second guess for a minute what I had gotten. I dug around on the internet and see that there's quite a bit of variation in what a black sex link can look like as an adult so hopefully all is well.

As for the greyish yellow chicks....I'm racking my brain. I got some of those two years ago....they just made it out to the coop when we forgot to shut the door and lost all our chicks to a predator. I had tried to erase those from my memory bank. I'm thinking that they were going to lay white eggs. Still thinking!

You could always email your pic to Estes Hatchery. They'd know for sure!

Back
Top Bottom