Got some new babies! Questions about how to help the weaker ones

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alaskanchicken, Jun 6, 2011.

1. alaskanchicken

alaskanchicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    So I got some new babies in the mail today. I thought two were dead, but one of them started to gasp. I picked her up and she was very cold, but alive. I put her and the other two who aren't doing so hot, on a heating pad, now they are all still alive. I know I can feed them sugar water-electrolites from a syrange. Also maybe some of the poly vits, How often do I feed them this mixture? Can I mix it all in one dose?
    Thanks. I really want the salmon favorelle to live [​IMG] As well as the cute silkie, ( I think it will be buff) ,and the ee [​IMG]

2. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Give the sugar electrolyte mix when they get moving some try some chick starter mix with a little h2o kinda like a mash to get them started. Maybe once moving around try some boiled egg yolk mashed up.mix some sugar & vits in waterer for them to have for a couple days. Hope this helps it is what I did with mine & keep them warm.

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    You should probably give them fluids about every hour, at least at first. You can mix the vitamin drops right into the electrolyte solution, but don't overdo it on the vitamins, as some are toxic in high doses. Really, if you gave them the vitamin drops just once or twice at first, that's enough.

Hopefully they'll come out of it for you. Sounds like cold was more of an issue than dehydration.

4. alaskanchicken

Apr 25, 2011
    Oh yeah I am sure the coldness was definately the main factor [​IMG] The poor things had to travel a long way to get here. I was hoping the sugar water will help them get a little more energy.

5. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    The polyvisol can be given one drop, 3 times a day. But like others have said, after a day of this it should be enough. Also, like ladyride said, mix some chick starter with water into a mash. I did this with a sick one I had recently and it worked great! I was hand feeding 6 times a day for two days but she came around really well. [​IMG]

6. alaskanchicken

Apr 25, 2011
    Well so far I have lost 1 ee, 2 buff silkies, 1 white polish. [​IMG] I don't know what I could have done differently. I hope no more of the litttle things die. This is how many I lost when I had double the chicks last time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by