Got some new chickens- any help IDing?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rojororeo, Aug 7, 2013.

1. rojororeo

rojororeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Hello BYCers!
    So I bought a new to me used coop, it came with 5 chickens to add to my 8...
    Anyone wanna help me ID the few I can't?
    I know there is a Barred Rock, in the background, no worries there!
    The black one I think is a Black Astralorp? She has a huge comb and waddles! Seemed similar to what I saw online for those. She also has black legs. She also has a green tint to her feathers in the light.
    The other 3.... No Clue!!
    I did get 2 blue eggs today, and 2 pinkish cream eggs. If that helps. So I assume there is some EE in there? But which?

And it is nutty- I think 4 of them have spurs! They are supposed to be from a feed store, about 2-3 years old.
    There does appear to be some ear muffing on the 3 multi colored birds.
    Thank you very much! It drives me nuts not know what they are! I have kept track of what my other birds are, so I won't have to re-ask, and will do the same with these!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that your Australorp is a rooster.
    The third pic contains EE's.
    The first pic has a buff orpington in the very back, a black australorp, and another EE.
    The second Pic has I think a barred rock (I can't see her head) and an EE.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  3. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I don't know what the black one is, but the rest are Easter Eggers. They are very pretty and you can expect to get blue/green eggs from them!

4. rojororeo

May 14, 2013
    I thought the same thing with the black one!! But the lady swears the chicken never crowed! Her spurs aren't huge, and like I said, they all have them. I haven't seen any rooster-y behavior from her, not that I know what to look for aside from mounting and food finding and dancing!
    I already have a rooster- if she is a he, is 2 roosters in a flock of 15 too many? In a 4ft x 8ft coop for sleeping, with huge outside yard for daytime?
    I am excited for the EE's, not that diff color eggs taste diff, just makes for fun egg gathering. And they are certainly beautiful to look at! Thank you shmccarthy, I agree!
    Thank you both for your help!

5. rojororeo

May 14, 2013
    I looked at Australorp roosters- she isn't nearly so large as they are, and no big graceful tail feathers. I did find plenty of Australorp hens with very large waddles and combs though. :) Fingers crossed!
    Oh and I just noticed what you said, Veer67- I am fairly certain that isn't a BO in the background. I have 3 already, and they look nothing alike in person. That is the same chicken that is the real buff one facing the EEer sitting on the nest box, in the 2nd pic. The lighting threw it off, I think. So your EEer you IDed in the bottom pic, the left half of it- that is the same chicken you thought was a BO. Crazy how lighting messes everything up, isn't it?
    I don't mean to come off rude or anything, I hope that didn't I just wanted to point that out, so we don't try to refer to her as a BO and it would be a bad example, lol! ;)

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Any bird can have spurs, I've seen hens with some wicked inch long spurs. I see Easter egger hens and that black hen--she doesn't really look like an Australorp, but she is a she. Maybe a profile shot of just her so we can see her body type better?

7. rojororeo

May 14, 2013
    I did see the info on spurs when I researched it. I had never seen that before, that I could think of! I will get some better pics of her in a bit, after they have calmed down. They are doing teh new chicken crazies, and my daughter and her friend were just out there trying to play with them.
    :)
    Thanks!

8. rojororeo

May 14, 2013
    Okay, pics of the black hen, as promised! Sorry it took me a bit longer!
    Let me know if these pics don't work, what not. )
    :)
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a hen I don't see any saddle feathers it could also be a jersey giant. Is she bigger than your other hens?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  10. rojororeo

May 14, 2013
    Huh, Yep I bet you are right. She is definitely bigger, and she is definitely heavier. I think you might have figured it out! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by