Got some new chickens... Can you help me ID them please (NOW W/ PICS)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Eggcellent, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Eggcellent

Eggcellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    I bought some chickens last night. Some of them look like bantam black cochin frizzles. The only thing is the roosters have reddish/goldish hackle feathers. What would this color pattern be called?

I also got 2 standard sized hens. One lays a dark brown egg and one a green egg. The lady insisted the black one was the easter egger but I think she was confused. The other hen has greenish legs and cheek feathers and looks an awful lot like my red/brown EEers. She couldn't remember what the name was of the second hen but she said she was sure it wasn't an EEer.

EDITED TO ADD PHOTOS

Here are the bantam black frizzles... Are they cochins? I know you can't really tell from the photo but they do have feathered feet.
    [​IMG]

This is the hen the lady said was NOT an EEer, but I think it is. It has a pea comb and muffs.
    [​IMG]

This is the hen she said was an EEer, but I think might be a black sex link
    [​IMG]

One of the hens laid a dark brown egg and the other laid a Olive green egg today.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Wellies aren't Muffeed, And have yellow legs [​IMG] So it sounds like you have 2 EEs

The Frizzle is probably "leaking" red. It happens sometimes with black Varieties

3. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    Thanks blackbird. When you say the blacks can "leak" red, does that mean their entire hackles can be red with no black at all? That is what I am seeing in both of these roos. The one that looks more like a welsummer to me isn't muffed. But I think it has black legs. I guess it could be an easter egger too. Or a black sex link maybe.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  4. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    i think you have 2 EE's too

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    2 EEs.

6. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    I updated the photos and now that I got to look at the hens, I think I have an EEer and a Black Sex Link... Does that seem right?

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Bingo!

8. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    SOunds right and goes right along with your egg colors you got.

9. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    just remember not to breed frizzle roos to frizzle hens!!

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Separate the hens to see which lays which colour of egg. Or put some food colouring in one's vent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by