got some questions on crushed red pepper?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by boykin2010, Dec 20, 2010.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    i am thinking of getting some crushed red pepper today. my hens are laying terribly. i not getting enough and i had to buy grocery store eggs!!! [​IMG]

my question was how much crushed red pepper to feed the chickens. do you mix it in their feed or do you feed it to them by hand. how much do you give them. how long will it take for the production to go back up after the pepper? i really didnt want to have to do it but i am tired of paying 10$ for feed and getting an egg a day.

( if this helps i have 7 hens and they eat out of an automic feeder)

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    When I did this I just used 2 heaping tablespoons mixed with a gallon of feed and put into their feeder. I saw a difference the next day, and did this for 3 days. By the end of that week all were laying again. I had about 8 layers at the time.

3. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Red pepper flakes????
    Really?
    If it will jumpstart my hens I'll give it a try!

My feeder doesn't hold a gallon - how about 1 teaspoon for a quart of feed?

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:That should work too. [​IMG]

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    While it may work for some people (or rather, their hens), this did not work for me at all!

6. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    ok thank you! i am about to leave for town right now and hopefully i will come back with crushed red pepper. i dont feed them in sizes i just have a plastic bowl and i dip it into the bag and pour it in the feeder. i guess i will have to just measure it with my eye... thank you cindiloohoo.
    cross your fingers so that the chickens will start to lay again. ( i am about to get mad)

7. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    ok i got 2 bottles of crushed red pepper for a dollar. i just poured a heaping tablespoon into the feeder and mixed it. i didnt put 2 tablespoons because there wasnt a gallon of feed probably just 1/2 a gallon. i hope this works! i was missing the taste of farm fresh eggs!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by