Got some runners!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Beccazon, May 23, 2019.

1. Beccazon

Beccazon Songster

Apr 23, 2019
    Michigan Thumb
    Not a lot of options in our area for ducklings unless we order. Newer to raising a flock (chicks and ducks) so just shopping local retail. Finally Family Farm and Home (way better than TSC) had Indian Runner ducklings! The hubby said ok even though our others are all feathered and moved to the coop and the brooder was taken down. He chose the fawn and white. I am excited since everyone who has runners love them to pieces. That brings our total flock to 12 chickens and 9 ducks lol. And almost finished with the duck section of the coop so they can be separated into their own attached area.

2. Runner duck mom

Runner duck mom Songster

Nov 15, 2017
    Georgia
    That's awesome! Runners are super cute and hilarious :) I hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoy ours.

3. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Crowing

Sep 18, 2018
    North Central Iowa
    I am so happy for you! Runners are, indeed, wonderful ducks, and I'd be surprised if you don't grow to love them to pieces, too. Congrats!

On the other hand, if a lovely lawn is your goal and you free-range your runners, be prepared to rethink what's important to you. Mine like to dig deep holes after every rain or spilled tub of water. But, they're worth it!

4. Beccazon

Beccazon Songster

Apr 23, 2019
    Michigan Thumb
    Now that we have so many, we are likely to fence the back yard to free-range. But already, our others dig like they are well-drillers! Yes EVERY rain and EVERY wet spot gets holes! Lmao I am constantly refilling holes to avoid injuries. Theirs AND ours lol

quackiemama and Bamabexchicks like this.
  5. Beccazon

Beccazon Songster

Apr 23, 2019
    Michigan Thumb
    If I end up with any drakes here, will ducks interbreed? Or do they stick to their own generally?

quackiemama and Bamabexchicks like this.
  6. quackiemama

quackiemama Crowing

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    Enjoy your runners, they are a hoot! I love their personalities

Beccazon likes this.
  7. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    the drakes may rape your chickens which is a major party foul! It can seriously injure or kill the chickens. Also, on another note, I bet you've got lots of flying predators in your area? If so, free-ranging might not work out so well unless you put a net over your run!

quackiemama and LilyLoo like this.
  8. Texag87

Texag87 Crowing

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    Runners :wee

quackiemama and Beccazon like this.
  9. Beccazon

Beccazon Songster

Apr 23, 2019
    Michigan Thumb
    Yup I already have the pen separated