Got some SLW babies today!!! Pics of course!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jandmeg07, Mar 21, 2009.

1. jandmeg07

jandmeg07 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Cheboygan, MI
    I am so excited! My wonderful DH bought me some girls (I hope) today at a feed store in a nearby town. I told him I just wanted to go look and of course when I saw they had SLW pullets, I couldn't help it. They had RIR's and Isa Browns too, which weren't on my list, so I refrained (even though they were sooooo cute!). They were out of Buff Orps and what they had marked as Araucanas, or we would have definitely come home with some of them. We got 4 girls and the store said we can call next Wednesday and they should have another shipment and they should be getting a few other breeds that we're looking for. They get there's from the Townline Hatchery in Zeeland. Okay, enough rambling...here's the pics I know you're all looking for. [​IMG]

This one looks like she's ready to battle
    [​IMG]

All four of the girls (hoping)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We don't have any names picked out yet, but it won't be long. Thanks for looking!!
    P.S. The light was so low because we had a regular lightbulb in there while I waited for DH to get back with the heat bulb...we thought we had one here and didn't.

2. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    chickies!!!! Congrats! I love my SLW! [​IMG] Now just waiting for the rest will be killer! [​IMG]

3. cluckylisa

cluckylisa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Central Minnesota
    Yipee, chicks! They are darling.

4. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    they are so cute!! congrats!!!!

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

They look like sturdy birds, you should have a great time with them.
    Of course for my next girl... Izabel or Jezebel, Bella, perhaps you should go with a "Tammy Wyandotte" for Tammy Wynette (? think I spelled it right) , I also have already a Kathleen, Lucy, Penny, Frieda, Jojo, Sweetie, Cloe, Queenie (for Queen Lili). I've also thought about Julia, and many other names. I think names come to you from watching them. I often think about how they act and what it is that reminds me of a actress or friend.
    Good luck and enjoy those babies, they look wonderful!!!

6. jandmeg07

jandmeg07 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Cheboygan, MI
    Thanks guys! [​IMG] I couldn't wait to share with all my BYCer's. In fact, on the way home my DH said "You are so pumped to get home and take pictures so you can post on that Backyard Chickens aren't you?" He knows me well. I like the Tammy Wyandotte...great idea! (Love all your names) There is one that is a little bit smaller and I think we've named her Lil' Suzy. I can hardly tear myself away from them and I'll keep posting pics, especially if I get more. I am going to have a terrible time waiting for the rest. I really really really want Light Brahmas, but it doesn't sound like I'll be able to get any unless I order them from a hatchery and I don't want 25!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Congratulations on your new babies. They are sooooo cute!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Oh, so cute! We have our first 2 SLWs in our chick group this spring. They are about 4 weeks or so old now, and getting even cuter every day. Nice friendly girls too, one is a good lap chicken when we go visit the brooder in the coop.

Enjoy them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by