Got Suffolks!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr, May 1, 2008.

1. ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr

ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Saint Cloud Florida
    anyone know how to shear them????? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Clippers and a helper(or two)???

3. ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr

Mar 7, 2008
    Saint Cloud Florida
    [​IMG] Is it similar to shaving a dog? I have done that!! My landlord has 4 marinos that are big huge fluff balls, and it is getting hot here, he said if I shear them I can have all the wool!! I WANT it!!!! I am willing to try, looked it up on some sites, and it looks kinda like shaving a dog!

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    with sheering you try to get the fleece to come off in 1 peice as much as you can.that makes sheeering easier.an yes youll need help holding the sheep during sheering.an itll take awhile to sheer them.

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    You need a good pair of clippers and sharp blades. Depending on how close you want to shave them, you will need different size blades. I use Listers with a fine blade first. Your clippers will work best if you bathe your sheep first. It helps clean the lanolin out of the wool so your blades won't clog up so fast. I use a stand to put the sheep on. It gets them off the ground a little so you are not breaking your back. Hope this helps!!! [​IMG]

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    When you are shopping, there is a difference between clippers with a "clipping head" and a "shearing head". You will never get far shearing a sheep with a clipping head, probably designed for goats and cows.

I know Premier has a poster taking you through the steps. I only shear mine which go to the Fair. Pay someone else to do the others.

7. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I used to shear them. I used the blades for show sheep as often as I could as I hated the ones with the really nasty teeth as I cut one with those teeth once:(

8. ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr

Mar 7, 2008
    Saint Cloud Florida
    Thanx!! all of it is helpful, I am beginning to wonder what I am getting myself into!!! But I am determined, and the sheep need my help because it is getting HOT HOT HOT!!!

9. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    Wish I could get someone to volunteer to shave my ewe and take the wool as payment! I'd do it in a heartbeat!!

Stacy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by