1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

got the automatic door opener!~***** VIDEO!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fishnet1971, Nov 25, 2011.

1. yup, i broke down and did it. It's just AWESOME!!!!! i set it for 7:30AM, and can sleep in on the weekends for the first time in 2 years! I set it for 5:30PM and can stay at work (darn it.....) knowing that they are safe and sound inside their warm tajmahal.

It was so easy to install on my existing up/down sliding door. I was kinda scared that it would crush them in an accident, or etc. It's perfect. I bought the less expensive version from

http://www.discounthomeautomation.com/Add-A-Motor-Chicken-Coop-Motor-AD20

The kit was perfect. had everything included. I went out and purchased some 80 pound test fishing line for the door, because the kit didnt have enough line, but other than that its great! total came to about $180.00. I felt really guilty about spending the money, but the girls pitched in with their $100 of egg money i have saved up, and my cat pitched in another $20, and my moms cat happend to thow in another $20. Then my neighbor lady pitched in and $10 because she loves my MayMay and wants her to be safe. [​IMG] [​IMG] so, really it became affordable.

Seriously, it is a great kit. I purchased the solar panel and battery with it, that's what made it a little more expensive for me. so i reccomend you all "go forth and automate!"

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] You may not think so now, but you will actually grow to love/appreciate your new door even MORE as time goes by [​IMG]

3. S.L.Swope

S.L.Swope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    OMChicken!! I had no clue they sold the motor for so inexpensive and the solar panel looks awesome since I have no electricity in my coop and don't want a extension cord run out there forever

4. ericz

ericz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    media pa
    i am expecting my add-a-motor and solar acessory kit from discounthomeautomation in a few days. i might hit you up for some advice, as i don't even have the door cut out or anything on the new coop i'm building. do you have any pictures of your setup? where did you mount the opener, inside or out? how did you hide the battery? where did you mount the solar panel?

5. I had no clue i could get the stuff cheaper as well. Thought it was going to be like $300! someone else put up a link on here with that place, and i figured my DH can fix anything, so lets try it.

The instructions were a little lacking, took some actual thinking. duhhhhh. and like i said i went and found 80# test fishing line for my raising and lowering of the door. My existing door was a 7 pound piece of wood in metal j channel that my DH rigged with a pully system. I will take some photos of it tonight. No problems on any advice or stuff. just let me know!

The solar panel is great! They sent me a battery like for e motorcycle, or 4 wheeler, the solar panel hooks to the batter to keep it charged. so far so good. been in two weeks and no issues except ME closing it to soon. [​IMG]

6. Took videos over the weekend. I will have them up for you later today. Just done laugh to much. I am not a great narrator. [​IMG]

7. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    Mantua?
    I used to live in Aurora years ago. What a beautiful area you live in. We used to go to the Mantua Feed Store when I lived there.

I also have the same motor. It is the BOMB!!

8. nanaimochick

nanaimochick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2011
    nanaimo, b.c.
    I have been thinking of buying one of these as well but my door is hinged so I guess that has been stopping me (not much of a carpenter) -- I'm also considering just putting a string system up to my window as the coop is not that far away. I don't mind the evening tuck in but I hate the early mornings! [​IMG] Looking forward to your video!! THanks.

9. jpsbcfc

jpsbcfc Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    west midlands, uk
    i have 2 coops and both are fitted with a chuxaway system, www.chuxaway.com iirc tho i got mine off ebay.

without question the best thing i have bought for the coops!

10. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by