Got the Baytril & started the treatment

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
Whats the best/easiest way to give Baytril to a duck? 7month old(ish) Muscovy Drake to be specific. I have decided that the small itching suspicion of Staph is correct and I am going to call my vet in the morning to see if he has any i can go pick up (
fl.gif
) and if not, I will try to find a fellow poultry farmer that may have some on hand, i really don't wanna buy online & wait for it to be shipped. I have Never given a duck an injection or pill.. i feel like such a newb, lol.

Has anyone ever noticed Baytril causing ill effects on their birds? I read online that, if overdosed, it can cause blindness in cats and can also cause cartlidge damage in growing puppies.

It only took 2 weeks of digging for research online to confirm my suspicions... why isnt there more info on duck ear infections??
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Hellooo
My Doog had an antibiotic shot a couple of times by the vet and in the meantime we had to give her baytril twice a day. We were given the liquid version. Hub would hold the Doog tight, I would prize her little beak open and then squirt it down with a little syringe thingy that had the measurements on the side. She would clamp her beak shut and it would take some opening but we were lucky and she never flung the medicine out. Me and the hub, we had only had ducks about a year so we were SUPER noobs lol, but it wasn't too bad! We got quite good at it! Poor little Doog.
No idea how to do pills...stuff it into a pea?
Good luck and while this might not be much help...BUMP!
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Try to get the suspension form of Baytril-it is liquid form, like Priss had.
My vet said go from left side of bill down the throat to the right-it's really not too bad-the worst part is prying that stubbornly closed bill open.
We took advantage of the fact that ducks HAVE to bill EVERYTHING and we would catch her when she was billing the syringe and shoot it down her throat.
Didn't bother my little girl a bit.
smile.png

I think the injectable form can cause nerve damage if used in the same spot more than once during a course of treatment-ask the vet about that part.
Good luck with your ducky.

I stopped by the Vet's office this morning and thankfully he only had 1 patient there so he got to see Bommie real quick and I got the baytril for his ear. He said he hasn't seen many Staph infections with ducks ears before but the baytril was definitely worth trying considering 2 weeks of the Mometamax & Tetracycline didn't even make a dent. The Diluted Vinegar I used yesterday helped to dry up his ear so it looked less disgusting today and didn't smell so bad but there's still a large plug in there.

His getting .5ml twice a day Orally. He took the first dose like a good boy and i sent him off on his way to play with everyone else, I will scoop him up tonight and give him a second dose and continue this for the next 4 days.

For purposes of reference & help, I will post about his progress.

Last edited:
His ear is already looking drier. Tonight, when I gave him his nighttime dose of Baytril, I manually unplugged the ear with a pair of blunt(rounded) tweezers... there was a pea-sized amount of crap still in there but it looked really good in there afterward.

He's a little squinty on the opposite eye but I am not sure if it's because he hates the taste of the medicine or something else is bothering him. His other ear is healthy-looking.

Awww good to hear there is already improvement. Doog never seemed to mind the taste at all. When I gave her water immediately after she never drank it, she would just storm off in a huff. And yes prising that little beak open was always the hardest bit lol! No idea about the squinty bit, hope it's nothing.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Let us know how it goes...I never heard of a duck having an ear infection but I sure have treated it in rabbits, and that is NO fun at all!

Back
Top Bottom