Got the brooder built, Now What ?!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Retired Army, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Retired Army

Retired Army New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    Hi Folks,
    I'm a green horn about all this chicken stuff. Kids and I are honoring for more bonding time before their off to college so I figured what better way then to build a brooder, get some chicks and boom ! Quality time with the family.
    We got a good start with the brooder "Now What!" I'm not sure if we should drive an hour to buy chicks or just mail order, we only need 4 or 5 I guess, any thoughts ?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Lots of people order chicks thru the mail. As long as you wait till the weather in your area is not too cold over night, as chicks can be out in the mail for a few days in the cold and some don't make it. But lots of hatcheries do ship small amounts of chicks. I always go to my local feed store for chicks. Let them deal with the incoming shipped chicks and I don't have to go far to get them. It is up to you.

You might want to chat with others in your state and area to find out where they are getting their chicks....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Good luck with your hunt for chicks and welcome to BYC!

3. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG] Hello and [​IMG] What a great way to spend family time[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Nice family project! X2 on TwoCrows suggestion on try your state thread for local birds. If you only want a few chicks shipping will be quite high to get them mailed, and usually this time of year a lot of feed stores have chicks in.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - do you have a Tractor Supply Co near you? Most are now running 'chick days'.

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC. [​IMG]Glad you joined us!

7. Retired Army

Retired Army New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    Thanks !!!!

8. Retired Army

Retired Army New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

Just found one not to far away, I'm in Southern Orange County, CA. so their few and far apart BUT !!!! I think I have caught the bug ! chicken fever that is so off I will go tomorrow, during work I might add to buy some feathered friends, at $5 each sounds like cheap happiness to me, I'm assuming they will also stock all the trimmings I also need. This is our brooder it was a speaker cabinet last night

9. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for your years in service, and best of luck with your future chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by