got the broody hen, fertail eggs are coming, know what?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dnenella, Jul 20, 2010.

1. dnenella

dnenella In the Brooder

May 10, 2010
    so my orpington has been trying to have chicks for a couple of weeks know, dad does not want her to have chicks but shes a-gonna so i have her in the teenagers cage know and hopefully i get the eggs tonight or tommorow but this is my first time hatching so will take any info i can get. So please Help!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Put the eggs under her and wait 21 days! She'll do the rest. Make sure she has food and water within reach, because if she is a hard-core broody, she may not leave her nest at all (my silkie does this). Also, I'd put some poultry dust on her before you set the eggs, and check her regularly for external parasites, mites and lice LOVE a broody hen. Good luck!

Also, are the eggs coming in the mail? If they are, you'll want to let them sit pointy end down for 12-24 hours before you put them under her.

3. dnenella

dnenella In the Brooder

May 10, 2010
    ok thank and no i found some on craigslist by my house YEAH for me so much cheaper:D $12 for 2 doz

4. dnenella

dnenella In the Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Ok so know its friday till i get the eggs but thats ok more time for me to dig up info lol

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Any time I have to do something with my broody hens I try to do it after dark, it keeps them calmer that way. If she's already been setting for a few weeks do be sure to check her for mites, and refresh the straw in her nest box. Some poultry dust could be helpful too. Make sure her food/water is far enough from her nest that she has to stand up and take a few steps to get to it, otherwise she could get into the habit of staying in the nest & pooping there.

When you give her the eggs you can place them one by one at her breast, & watch her tuck them underneath her. It's always sweet to watch that, and fun to watch the hen do the "Chickie Cha-Cha" where she shuffles from side to side settling the eggs in place.

You can trust your hen to do all that's necessary to hatch these eggs, you needn't pull them out to candle them. Just count down the days to hatch & get ready to enjoy.

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Actually I think counting down the days IS the hardest part. 21 days have never gone so slowly!! I am on day 12.

The only thing I can mention is that mark the eggs, cause sometimes other hens will lay in her nest. But leaving her alone is good advice, I think. mk

7. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:2 dozen under 1 hen?

8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Pick the best eggs, and put 15-18 under her if she is big. 24 might be too many. I have Bo, and put 16 under them each and all were covered. I did have one or two break, maybe cause there were too many?

mk

9. dnenella

dnenella In the Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Lol no i'm only getting a dozen I though that was too many too my cousin is gonna take the others and try to incubate (? sp) them. Also no other chicken can get in there because its closed and my blind chicken is not at laying age yet. Very excited hopefully all goes well I had to move her this morning because she was sitting on Blue (and 17 week amera.) the blind chicken and Blue was not the happiest to be smuched, and man was she peed of I see know why my nephew is scared of her she must of been cussing me out in chicken and man was she poofy. thanks for all the advice so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by