Got the call today! (update )1st post

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by annie3001, Mar 16, 2011.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Hello.
    This is my first time owning ducks. I ordered 2 from metzers farm. I called last week to add another, just in case etc.
    They said they sold out on the welsh harlequin breed. didnt think to just ask for another breed. (my fault).
    well i picked up my box from the post office, this morning. only one made it alive. the other died.
    now i have ony one lonely duck. who is very alert and active.
    shes peeping alot tho, like she is lonley.
    i will call metzers farm and see what they can do.
    there is a tsc in the next town over, that are getting ducks and chickens tomorrow. only problem is they have a minimum order of 6. i only want 2 at the least. i dunno. anyone live in ct. that has some ducklings to spare?
    kinda sad.
    this ducks not eating her food yet. i have dipped her beak in it. but shes enjoying the water plate much more.

Update!!!!:
    happy to say my little girl duckling is thriving and doing wonderful. what a joy a duckling is. her beak is so perfect. she snuggled on the couch with me, and even fell asleep on me. i am thrilled she survived and soon she will be joined with some new ducklings next week.
    We put her in the living room, where we are always at.
    shes so gentle and docile already, (i am not kidding). its like she is meant to be here. I hope to give her a wonderful life with us here.
    Thanks again !!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

When I had a lone duckling hatch I handled him alot, sat him on a towel to watch tv with me, took him to make coffee, took him every where. Id hold my hand down and he would jump on and off we would go. I put him in a see thru tote and kept him on the kitchen table so he could see us going about during the day. He was happy as could be. He turned out to be a nice big handsome drake and even now if I go out and put my hands out he leans forward onto them to be picked up. He loves him mum and gives me big nibbbles and whispers sweet nothings in my ear [​IMG]

3. rebecky1305

rebecky1305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    Try putting a sock with rice in with the duckling. You can warm the sock slightly in the microwave just be very careful. And definately get him or her a friend soon. Good luck. I think you will love them. [​IMG]

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:i was thinking this one is gonna get some special attention. [​IMG]
    i just want her to eat?
    is it common for the water drinking thingy? shes loving it.

5. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, you give them an open dish to drink out of and they are going to take a bath in it.

Heres a photo of my 2 Elliot and Gemin. Gem hatched a week after Ell. In this photo Ell is 1 week old, Gem is 12 hours old.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  6. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Sorry about you losing your little duckling. Here are a couple suggestions when going to farm store for less than minimum.

Stand around a few minutes to see if others are there wanting less than 6. Ask them to split the purchase.

Another thing you can do is say they are for 4-H and you cannot have that many. Usually they will let you go ahead and buy what you want.

7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG]

heres duckies biggest fans. our dog, molly and house rabbit oreo.

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG]

Here's Ducky

9. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    called them, they are sending 2 replacements for free. i bought an extra. they ship out monday.

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    What are you offering her to eat? I gave mine turkey/waterfowl crumbles, with just a light sprinkle of chick grit. They began eating right away. I also added ground up rolled oats (not instant), just a sprinkling at first, then 1:5 to reduce protein %.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by