Got the coop put together * PICS *

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by XL506, Jul 28, 2008.

1. XL506

XL506 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    Ohio
    Hey guys!
    I finally got around to putting the coop together. The coop was a doghouse that never got used. So I extended it a bit, and cut a hole in the roof and installed hinges to make a door for easy access in egg removal. and installed a nestbox ( still need to install another 1 or 2 ). I know it's not the prettiest coop. But they have a good bit of room to run around and shelter from the elements.

Measurments:
    Free Run Area- 10ft long x 8ft wide x 5ft high

Coop/Nesting Area - 5ft wide x 4 feet deep x 4ft high

* I still have to paint the coop. I am painting in barn red and white, and will post pictures when its painted *

-=The run and coop=-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

* The view from the inside, into the run *
    [​IMG]

The Coop * lid Closed *
    [​IMG]

* Lid Open *
    [​IMG]

* One of the nesting boxes *
    [​IMG]

I have 4 hens for now, and plan on getting 4 more. I also am getting a newer tool shed 12x12ft and converting it into a coop.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Thats a nice set up. Your birds look happy and healthy. congrats on the shed, that will be great [​IMG]

3. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    That's great! Your chickens look so happy & have everything they need, too. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good idea using the dog house & putting in a little "skylite" for them, too. [​IMG]

4. XL506

XL506 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    Ohio
    Yeah, I figured the "skylite" would let them feel a little more comfortable in there. I got a panel, I use to cover it when it rains to keep them dry as well.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Congrats on finishing it! This is very similar to what I'd envisioned for our coop/run (until DBF got other ideas... LOL).

I would recommend wrapping the run with hardware cloth to prevent predators like raccoons from reaching into the run and grabbing chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by