Got the crap scared out of me today...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mommto3kiddos, Apr 13, 2011.

1. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I was letting the big girls (our 6 week old chicks) out for their daily yard time in our wire playpen.. I got the bright idea to take my small wire dog crate out and sit it beside the big girls and let our little Bantam chicks (3 weeks old) play.. I was worried my smallest bantam would squeeze through the bars, but after watching them for about 10 minutes I thought he was fine to be in there.. Well about 10 later Im working in the garden and out of the corner of my eye I see this little guy just trucking along through the yard. I realize my boxer was passed out at the end of the garden hadn't noticed the little excape artist yet. So my mind starts racing on how Im gonna sneak over and catch him without waking her. Luckly it all went smoothly and he got put back in the brooder, but Im still shaking..

I swear these little guys are gonna give me a run for my money. I mean at 3 weeks they are still smaller than my RSL girls were at 3 days old... [​IMG]

The escape artist....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    [​IMG] Thats so scary! I had something similiar happen to me the other day. I was letting my 5-6 week olds play outside for their first time in a little pen. I didnt even think they could slid out between the bars. And all of a sudden I was watching my chicks and one slid right out! I freaked out because my 2 dogs were on the other side! Luckily I got the chick fast enough before my dog did! It was so scary though!
    Anyway, I am glad to see your chick is ok.

3. ddcoyne

ddcoyne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Covington
    Wow! He sure is a handsome little man! Glad he's ok!

4. homesteadinmama

homesteadinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Merrimack
    Cute chick, glad the dog didn't spot him first!

5. ChickLit

ChickLit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Sheridan, Oregon
    Awwwwww....he's adorable!! [​IMG] What a big adventure for such a little guy [​IMG] Glad he got back home ok!

6. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X's 2

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    LOL He even looks like trouble!

8. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    I would name him Houdini! [​IMG] I think he's handsome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by