Got the egg thief!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sewingca, Jul 20, 2011.

1. sewingca

sewingca Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    My darling Shimmer had sat on her four eggs for almost 3 weeks when they somehow disappeared. I checked in the fridge thinking someone didn't see the marks (including a picture of a chick drawn on each); I looked in the run for evidence of destruction and I quizzed all members of our household. No one fessed up - Shimmer was one unhappy and poorly looking little chicken. Today, my brother spotted a large snake in the coop and ran for my DH who grabbed his shotgun. DB chased the snake out and DH sent said snake to meet his maker. I wasn't home, so no candid shots of the very large and very dead grey ratsnake. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Aw, poor Shimmer.Hope she gets some new ones to hatch soon!

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Im so sorry. Glad you got the snake. Get that girl some chickies.

4. sewingca

sewingca Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks, guys, I have to wait just a bit. She is a banty and, just now, she's really a featherweight. The eggs were stolen about a week ago and she's running with the pack again. When she goes broody again, I will for sure give a few eggs. She was a super mom to be. oxoxo

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Poor Shimmer all that hard work for nothing. Bet it feels good to be "single" again -

6. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Since you can't provide a picture, allow me to assist:
    [​IMG]
    Now I don't normally kill black snakes, but this one deserved it. I swear! I had been trying to break a broody hen for about 2 weeks. I had found evidence of broken eggs, and just assumed she was the worst broody ever and was doing the breaking. Last week I went to the coop to collect eggs, and found her in yet another nest box [​IMG] So I start mumbling obscene words at her and get the eggs from the other boxes. I came back later, and she's still in the box. So I say "that's it! Those eggs are mine!" She's mean, I mean real mean. Which is why I didn't take them earlier. I usually wait until she gets off the nest to do her business. So I put on my big girl birtches and plundged my hand under to get the eggs. Then I go "hmmm, that's not an egg" so I give it a good squeeze "doesn't feel like a chicken leg either". I pull her from the box and find that the pictured black snake was curled up under her eating her eggs. It was in the middle of swallowing a big egg, which is probably why I didn't get bit. I have no idea how it got under her and managed to live (I can see what she could do to a snake just by looking at my arm. The snake was a little over 4 ft long). And when I finally got it out of the box (I had to grab it by the tail and literally rip it from the box) she was the first one to be all over it. Needless to say, I look in the boxes now before I stick my hand in there. Did I break that broody? HECK NO! After that I just didn't have the heart. I gave her the 4 remaining eggs and put her in a snake proof wire cage. Those eggs are due to hatch sometime next week, I think [​IMG] I can't believe I squeezed it the way I did and didn't get bitten. It gives me the heebie jeebies every time I think about it [​IMG]

Edited to add: if you're wondering I they ate the snake, yes they did. In fact, I had a hard time taking this one and only picture before it was gone [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  8. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That's a great story! And I don't blame you for getting the willies when you think about it. *Shiver*

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    One good thing is if you do get bit all it will do is bleed just a little. No after affects.

10. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    Quote:[​IMG] As that would have been me if I ever found a snake in nest box. Never mind grabbing it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by