Got the fat melting as I type! Need sugestions!

bryan8

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
New york
Well I shot a doe this morning with my bow and I cut all the hard fat off. I'm melting it on the stove right now, what goodies should I put in?

Oops my bad! I forgot to say I was making a suet block...

I added some birdseed and chopped up lettuce

i have always put in seeds and sometimes pine cones and left it in the trees for the chickadees and woodpeckers.
do your chickens like it? i guess they probably would, why not!

I make them for the chickens as a extra snack. It's fatty so it helps them stay warm in winter.

You melt down hard animal fat, pour it into a mold and add what ever you want.

How so? I don't see it being different than fat from any other animal. It's the hard white fat that builds up on certin areas on the deer.

Here is what I do

Add 2 cup crunchy/creamy peanut butter, 2 cups of fat/crisco into a crockpot and let sit until its a liquid

In a large bowl I mix my dry parts I use wild bird seed, cracked corn, dry fruit, sunflower seeds, instant oats, and anything else in the house I think they would like for this batch.

Then I grease any sort of pan 9x13, 8 in round anything you wish to use. I then pour or laddle in my liquid and the dry mix, mixing them well untill the pan is full and the dry mix is now covered in the melted suet packing it tight.

I then let them sit to harden or put in the freezer.

Once hard I will take them out and put into freezer bags and freeze what I dont use. The parts I do use I will put into the large suet baskets or place them on the ground in the coop. They are always gone in a flash!!

I use caribou, bear, moose any type of fat we get off our critters. Im sure they will love the deer ;D

Back
Top Bottom