Got the lonely chicks some friends!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GlitterKitty, May 16, 2010.

1. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    I ordered 8 chicks total. The Suamtras are smaller the the other 5, and the first night one sumatra died. Then today another one did, and I came in to see all the big ones pecking him to death. So now I only have one left adn they went for her right after I removed the dead one. So I put Chenoa (the sumatra) in her own seperate enclosure:

[​IMG]

She keeps trying to get in the big chicks enclosure adn I can hear her chirping all the way upstairs when their house is in the basement.

Did I do the right thing?

And I am lookign for bantams on craigslist to put in with her...do you think that's a good idea? She's really lonely.

Please help!

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
  2. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Yes, you did the right thing. If they are picking on her she won't last long. Plus the little ones sometimes get piled on when they huddle for warmth.

I would look for another bantam too, but make sure it is smaller than she is. That way she won't have to deal with the picking again.

3. GlitterKitty

Nov 21, 2009
    Thank you! I emailed a couple people and am just waiting for them to respond back. I'll let you know how everything turns out!

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    In the meantime, you could try putting a small stuffed animal in there with her. Last spring we had a single chick for a couple of weeks until the next clutch hatched, and a stuffed bird helped her feel less lonesome. Just make sure her part of the brooder is warm enough, too.

5. GlitterKitty

Nov 21, 2009
    Her side is warm enough and I tried puting a stuffed animal in there. One person emailed me back but no one in my family will drive me up there to get the chick [​IMG]

6. GlitterKitty

Nov 21, 2009
    A different person emailed me back! They have Cochin Bantams!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. GlitterKitty

Nov 21, 2009
    Do you think I should get one bantam or two?

8. dparadise

dparadise Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    southwest Florida
    Quote:That's a silly question, of course 2 ;P

9. GlitterKitty

Nov 21, 2009
    Okay! I got two! And they get along great with the little Sumatra!!

Blue Cochin Bantam:
    [​IMG]

Red Cochin Bantam:
    [​IMG]

All of them:
    [​IMG]

Now I need help with names! And i'm not sure but can you tell their gender? There a week old.

10. Kim_1970

Kim_1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    They are too cute!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by