1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Got the Mottled Orp hen I think

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BamaChicken, Jan 14, 2008.

1. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    This is the Mottled hen that was brought to me. My friend swears she is the same one. I have a pic of back in May of 2007. He said she molted and came back with the black feathers and a few spots. I will post a pic of her today.
    [​IMG]

Here is the pic I took in May 07
    [​IMG]

What do you think. Anyone with experience working with the mottled color in other breeds

2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I would say it is not the same hen, but I don't know how mottleding (sp?) works. She is still a pretty girl.

Tonya

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Pretty girl but I dont think its the same one....by the comb points.....

Just hope that this pretty girl will put more mottled spots on the next generation of chicks....crossing fingers!

4. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    [​IMG] thats way too much of a change to be the same hen. But pretty though

5. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    No way! That is not the same hen. I was told when mottleds molt they get more white. Thats a bummer, you could still use her. I would have to agree with Ewesheep on the comb too.

6. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
  7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Wow Julie, that is a big change...I wouldn't be sure either...did he not have her leg banned?...that would have helped ... I'm not a mottled expert after a molt...

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sure doesn't look like the same girl, but I guess if she's from someone you know and trust you'll just have to believe what they say.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  9. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    By looking at the comb, I think it IS the same hen. If you look in the first pic, you can see 2 prominent points on the comb, and there are also the same two points, at the same angle in the second pic. I've never heard of a mottled getting less white, but based on the comb I'd say it's the same hen. You should try to get a pic of her at that same angle as in the second pic.

10. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    She was the only Mottled he had at the time I was there. He gave me the Black Roo out of the pen with her. I didn't pay for her so I will put her in with the Cockeral. I have never exchanged money with this breeder, we always just trade or give something. He didn't want anything. I think he would have told me the truth if he didn't have the same hen anymore as I wasn't buying anything. I didn't go to his house this time as we were both showing up at the Lake City show. If you talk to anyone with mottleds of any kind ask and let me know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by