Got the new Bator! (20 Fuzz butts out of 26 eggs!) PICS ADDED!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jenlynn4, Oct 31, 2008.

1. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I got one of the brower top hatch incubators. Its been running now for 4 days and temps have been dead on the whole time so I just set my first 26 eggs (thats all I had, it holds more). I made a jacket for it and a hat too. [​IMG] I'll try to get some pics up here later. I just hope it works. Its been a year since I LITERALLY threw my 2 little giants out the window! So I am in need of some babies to hatch! I cant believe I went a whole year without incubateing. That was an all time record for me. Wish me luck! I'll try to keep the progress posted. JEN

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Congrats Jen, I think you will love that incubator. I really liked mine. I could kick myself for selling it when I got the TX 6. On the hat you made, you left a hole for the red plug right?

I can't think of anything to add, only humidity is a bit hard to get up during winter. I used a humidifier in the room that I was hatching in. Does the light blinking bother you? It never did me but it was in the computer/bed room and I just closed the door. Let us know how it work for you.

3. jenlynn4

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    The "hat" is just a thin blue material. I just cut out a circle a little bigger than the top of the bator and then ran some elastic around the edge. Reminds me of a hair net or a shower cap..Its so the light wont bother me at night. LOL I put the bator right next to where I sleep! That flashing light was driving me nuts! Now it doesnt bother me at all. I have one of the red plugs out so the probes from my thermomitors can go through it and the air can pass right through the "hat". I only put it on at night and it doesnt seem to affect the temps to much. The "jacket" on the other hand is a piece of material with 2 layers of quilters batting and a layer of bubblewrap inbetween the 2 layers of batting. It looks alot like the bumper pads you use for a baby crib. It seems to be working really well. [​IMG]

4. jenlynn4

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    OH and jaynie, I still have my eye on those sizles you have!!!!! You may hear from me in the spring! [​IMG]

5. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    make sure the fabric doesn't block the ventilation holes, cause if there's no fresh air getting in the eggs will die!!!! Also, make sure the added fabric doesn't affect the temps!!! Good luck, and I wanna see some pics!!!

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Good luck Jen..nice to hear you're back in the incubating scene again! [​IMG]

I've heard good things about the top hatch bator. Best wishes for lots of happy, healthy babies. [​IMG] Oh, and don't forget to post fuzzy butt pics.

Jody

7. jenlynn4

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    OK heres the pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jenlynn4

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    Now I KNOW I am in LOVE with this new bator!!!!!

Today is the beginning of day 3 of incubation with the new incubator and temps couldnt be more steady! This thing is dead on! It has really quieted down too. But Heres the best part. While I was looking in on thigs this morning I noticed that the little thermomitor that came with it had fallen over. I was just going to leave it because I have like 3 others going in there too. (I know its overkill, but better safe than sorry LOL) But Then I got to thinking.....well I cant just leave it there laying on the floor like that I will just HAVE to open up the bator and since I am going to open it up ANYWAY I might as well sneek out a couple of eggs to see if I can see anything at all in them even thought its only the beginning of day 3! Well I quickly opened the lid slightly and reached in and propped the little thermomitor up and grabbed out 3 eggs. AND GUESS WHAT! All three have tiny tinly litle embryos in them!!!!! AMAZING! I am very hopeful now. Its just like my first time incubateing all over again! I cant believe I actually went a whole year! What was I thinking! I'll post an update when I candle all the eggs in a day or so. Keep your fingers crossed! JEN

9. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

According to that digital thermometer, your temps are too low..... says 97.5

10. jenlynn4

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    That was when I first put the eggs in!!! [​IMG] It stays steady at 99.5 all the time now. with 48% humidity. I just LOVE this thing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by