1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Got the run and door done

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by head4dmtns, Dec 25, 2008.

1. head4dmtns

head4dmtns Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2008
    Chuckey, TN
    We finally got a nice day off work so we were determined to get the chicken run and door done. My dad built the timer for us, it works, but I'm not sure I trust it just yet. The chickens were 10 weeks old yesterday, they sure are getting big. Here are some pictures of the run, door, and the chickens in the coop. I know that coop looks crowded, but we're going to be "thinning" the flock before too long. The pictures are clickable for easier viewing. I look forward to your comments. Merry Christmas!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Wow, that is a VERY interesting use of a wall timer! It looks like the peg that is usually there to set the time the power goes on, is actually the bit that causes the mechanical action and pushes the lever to release the door?

3. head4dmtns

Nov 11, 2008
    Chuckey, TN
    Exactly right. You set the time you want it to "go on" and it pushes the levers, string falls off, door closes. It's so simple, but I never would have thought of it without my dad's mechanical engineer brain.

4. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Neat idea!! I enjoyed the pictures of your coop. It looks like you are a great knitter too!

Cindy

5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    You got a very good thing going, I really love your coop.
    andyour pullets look very nice.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Omran.

6. head4dmtns

Nov 11, 2008
    Chuckey, TN
    #1California Chick :

Neat idea!! I enjoyed the pictures of your coop. It looks like you are a great knitter too!

Cindy

Thank you! I knit and crochet, they're two of my most favorite things to do.....​

7. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    i don't have a timer sitting around, how much umph does one of those things have to push something ?

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Do you have larger pics?

I'd love to do that.

9. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    Quote:click on the thumbs [​IMG]

10. head4dmtns

Nov 11, 2008
    Chuckey, TN
    Quote:My dad tested it with about 3-4 pounds before giving it to us, and it worked fine. Our door is made with a 15in x 20in piece of cement backerboard (we wanted something sturdy), it's heavier than plywood. We were worried that the timer wouldn't have enough "uumph', but it worked just fine. Our biggest fear now is one of the chickens standing in the doorway when the door shuts......We're still working out what to do about that.

I should mention.....my dad put a little bit of wax on the two pieces of wood, that way they slide a little better....not as much work for the timer.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by