Got the Winter Blahs? Stop in here for some Solsken Cheer!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Solsken Farm, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in the tundra, well almost, and I used to literally cry thinking about the winter.

The cold and dark was bad enough, but hauling water and trudging through thigh high snow to the barn caused me to experience serious blahs beginning in October. Instead of enjoying the fall, I began to focus on the fact that 5 months of bitter cold and bleakness was upon me. Things hit a new low when my kids were 1,2 and 3 and all needed to be dressed and undressed from head to toe just to go grocery shopping. I understood the meaning of cabin fever.

I had two options. Be miserable or figure out a way to enjoy the winter. Oh, the third option was to move and My DH wouldn't even listen to my suggestions to leave Maine.

So here are some tips to survive the winter if you live in a miserable winter climate. Please add your ideas, or anecdotes or even vent if you must.[​IMG]

1. Make things easier in your barn/coop- Spend the money for heated waterers or heat lamps so you don't have to struggle with ice.

2. Get outside, esp on sunny days! This has helped me alot. We ski and having something to do outside allows more access to light and air. Get off the couch and force yourself to walk, snowshoe, cross country ski or do squats outside.

3. Break the winter down into blocks. I do mine in 3 sections. I only look to Christmas and do not allow myself to think beyond then. I am so busy shopping, menu planning, cleaning my house for the WEEJK that my inlaws stay (YES A WHOLE DANG WEEK WITH 5 guests at christmas, faint) This is a whole 'nother topic. [​IMG] THen after Christmas I look to Feb vacation, which is only 6 weeks, then I look to April, which is only another 6 weeks. Breaking it down seems to help me cope with the months and months ahead of desolate frigid days.

4, Drink. I know this is not an option for all of you, but I don't drink much. I do however, treat myself to Baileys by the fire, only in the winter, or a hot toddy. Making a special drink on a cold evening is really a treat.

5. Plan for the spring. Get your hatchery mags, your garden catalogs, and plan away! Sketch out a plan and start dreaming of green grass and sunshine.

6. Save and get away, even for a weekend. This again, gives you something to look forward to. I know this is something some folks just can't do. But if you can find someone to watch your critters, scrape up some cash and get away, even for a night. Spend time looking at where you can go and git. Just going away for 24 hours has made all the difference for me.

7. Get outside. I know I already said this, but there are always milder days at some point. Get out and do something. You'll feel great getting some bennies and fresh Oxygen!

It is already the end of December! We are more than 1/3 of the way through......

Thoughts? Inspirations? Funnyisms?

2. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    What wonderful recommendations Jen!

Heres mine...

1. Godiva Chocolate....LOTS of it!

2. Playa del Carmen, Mexico [​IMG]

3. 1 shot of Baileys Irish Cream topped off with 1 shot Butterscotch Schnapps [​IMG]

Disclaimer: I don't drink alot either....really. [​IMG]
    Margaritas once in awhile when we go out to eat (oh and quite a few in Mexico/LOL) but somebody got me going on these "Buttery Nipples" (sorry weird name) so once a year around the holidays I buy a bottle of Baileys & Butterscotch Schnapps. [​IMG] Try it! YUM!

3. Wood stove going full blast.

4. Full length Chenille Robe

5. A good book
    (any recommendations besides "Twilight")

Wish I was here....NOW!!! [​IMG]
    Feb. 2008
    Playa del Carmen Mexico
    [​IMG]

Going to sleep every night with the ocean sounds was heaven on earth!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  3. Cottage Rose

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Jen how did you end up in Maine?
    Sounds like you possibly moved there from a less hostile environment.

4. Solsken Farm

Transplant from New Jersey. A different type of hostile environment. [​IMG] But I have lived in Acapulco, Newport Rhode Island and Switzerland. My family lives in Maine and we have an amazing farm. It is beautiful here and it's a great place to raise kids, BUT the winter's are long, and culture is far far away......

Winter Cheer Idea-----Turn up your tunes and DANCE! I like Beyonce's new song "Put a Ring on it"[​IMG]

5. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm glad I stopped in!
    I have trouble during the dark, dark, days of winter, too.

6. Cottage Rose

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Quote:OMG! Have you seen the "Put a Ring on it" video?!!

Pretty risqué dancing but WHHHHYYY can't I have a body like that?!?

I like to blast the music while I'm cleaning.
    I think we baby bloomers are an oddity.
    Over the hill gang that still like to rock out! [​IMG]

7. Cottage Rose

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    P.S.
    Boy you've sure been around!
    (Acapulco, Newport Rhode Island and Switzerland.)
    My next destination is going to be Europe.
    I'd love to go to Switzerland...and Austria, Germany etc.
    Going to the UK and Ireland first though.

8. Cottage Rose

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Quote:Be of good cheer Hoos!
    Winter solstice arrived Dec. 21 so the day light hours are increasing!!! [​IMG]

9. Solsken Farm

Quote:OMG! Have you seen the "Put a Ring on it" video?!!

Pretty risqué dancing but WHHHHYYY can't I have a body like that?!?

I like to blast the music while I'm cleaning.
    I think we baby bloomers are an oddity.
    Over the hill gang that still like to rock out! [​IMG]

Hahahahaaaaaaaaa! Yes, I don't mind risque. I KNOW why I don't have that body. I eat too much and don't use my eliptical enough. [​IMG]

Did you see the SNL with Beyonce and Justin Timberlake???????? Hahahaa! Justin and a few cast members put on the same leotard as Beyonce and do the moves. Hysterical.

Yep, over the hill and have an ipod filled with songs that in a few years my kids will be listening to, but horrified I listen to..... [​IMG] like Black Eyed Peas "Humps" I love that one too. [​IMG]

Hooseir! Cheers and YES, Rose is right, each day is getting longer! Attitude has alot with enjoying the winter.

Oh, Rose, get to Europe. My folks have a cottage in Ireland. (they paid nothing for it 20 years ago) We have spent time there and love the UK.

10. Cottage Rose

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Oh man!!! A cottage in Ireland?!?
    How wonderful!!! [​IMG]
    Do they live there all the time or just vacation there?
    We were making plans to go to the UK when my husband had
    open heart surgery the end of October and it kind of put that
    project on the back burner.
    He's doing great now, thank God and ready to go back to work.
    Any recommendations for must see places in Ireland?

Didn't see JT on SNL that time but I've seen him on there before
    and he is really funny. [​IMG]

Surprised your thread hasn't gotten more of a response from the
    winter weary, sun-deprived northerners and mid-westerners.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by