Got their winter pool/tank set up, but have a Q...

aduckstolemyheart

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Missouri
Got the ducks winter tank set up. Used one of those 40 gallon stock tanks like this one here:
product_thumbphp.png

And picked up one of those sinking tank de-icers with the metal cage around it, so it will stay thawed for the colder days (most now a days). My only concern is that the heater takes up some space. It's about 8 inches tall, and easily a foot or more around. this is the de-icer:
http://www.google.com/products/cata...log_result&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CD8Q8gIwAw#

So does anyone else use these? Have you had any problems with ducks getting hurt on them? I'm just worried about their feet, or them diving down onto it. I'm sure I'm probably just worrying for nothing, but felt better asking!

Oh great! And the guy told me it was made to keep stock tanks ice free! If it doesn't work I'll be taking it back and getting my 40 bucks back!

You think it will be safe for the ducks on the off hand chance it does work, or I can keep the ice broken up?

You are probably better off pulling the ice off and dumping a 5 gallon bucket of hot water into it each morning. That should take care of it for the rest of the day. Mine no longer get swimming pleasures. Once per week they do get two concrete mixing pan with warm water to play for an hour.

nights here have been getting 21-28 and i have a floating de-icer that has kept my 600 gallon pond open so far, don't no how much longer it will stay open though, gettin cold-

Thanks that's reassuring. My tank is only 40 gallon, so hypothetically it should be easier to keep thawed. I read the product reviews on my de-icer and a lot of people say it works well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us!

didnt see your thread here...lol

I have this one also.,,its works great.... was still worried that they would touch the heating element when swimmin so I bought a cheap laundry basket at the dollar store , cut the top half off and wired the tank heater inside it , turned it upside down and sat a rock on top to hold it on the bottom... its been getting really cold some nites and there is NOT a sign of ice in the pond at all. But I still worry when it gets below zero... if the pond stays completely open , do I leave them with the choice to swim or do I make them stay out til its a bit warmer.???? this is my first winter and Im having a VERY hard time worrying about their comfort ... thank goodness for everyone here. Sure helps.

43749_im002155.jpg

Back
Top Bottom