Got them a duck house

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Sep 24, 2010.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    We decided today we were getting wood to build the ducks a house. Stopped at Tractor Supply on the way to HD/Lowes and they had a dog house that we though "hmm, that could work maybe. We'll keep that as an option"

Get to Lowe's and look at some wood options and play around with a few ideas. Head to lunch and then back to Lowes. Put all the wood and supplies we needed on a cart and I went to the garden section to grab a roll of hardware cloth and see another dog house made of cedar that the roof opened up. Was very nice. Dragged Dh out to see it and we decided, hmm, we could go that route. more expensive than what we were going to build and more than the one at Tractor Supply, but very nice and cedar, so should hold up pretty well and I can hose that sucker out.

It didn't get put together yet - the skies opened about 5 miles from home. Tomorrow's project now.

But after the major light and sound show of the storm passed, I went out and played in the lake that was our yard with the ducks and the dogs.

I'll post some pics once we get it together.

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Cool. [​IMG] Can't wait to see pics!

3. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Is a cedar house okay for ducks. I know cedar bedding isn't... just curious???

4. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    I have a large cedar dog house for my ducks, the house itself is lined with poplar. I really dont think the cedar is a problem when it is used as a building material--though I agree cedar shavings aren't a good choice.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Cedar is not to good for their lungs. Of course once it is aged, it should be fine. No way of telling how old the boards are. I would let it age for a couple of months or until the cedar smell is gone. Perhaps you can get some thin plywood panels and line the inside, so they are not directly exposed to it. 1/8" should work fine and can be cut with a utility knife.

6. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Put together this morning

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tavarish checking it out
    [​IMG]

He said it was a bit small for him, but the ducks should like it [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and well, the new inhabitants, who haven't even seen it yet
    [​IMG]

Before putting it together I looked for info on cedar and ducks and found nothing saying it was bad - any links?

7. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    LOL! Funny Tavarish!

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    VERY CUTE!! I love it.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the cedar. They won't be in it full-time, it looks like it has some sort of finish on it, and really the danger is in using cedar chips for bedding--there is a LOT more opportunity for off-gassing from chips than from a board. It's all about surface area. If you can go into the house yourself and not smell a strong odor of cedar, I think it will be fine.

My only concern with your set-up is the wood floor--they will very quickly make it gross and rotten. You might want to top it with some vinyl flooring that goes partway up the sides (because they'll poop sideways too), and then top that with a little straw or other slip-proof, absorbent bedding.

It looks beautiful. [​IMG]

9. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    The cedar shouldn't rot and the plan is to hose it daily like I have been their kennel set up.

10. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Looks like it has plenty of cross ventilation, so you should be fine. I would also line it with vinyl or a rubber mat. They sell rubber mat runner at home depot for 12 dollars a roll. You can cut and bend it as you make it fit. iamcuriositycat is right with going up the walls. They can splat it up for 6 or more inches. Remember to rough up the vinyl with sand paper so they don't slip on it. You can get a remnant piece at home depot at a bargain price.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by