1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Got this chicken at a poultry auction and have no idea what it is.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mcelrathn, Feb 14, 2017.

1. mcelrathn

mcelrathn Hatching

Nov 6, 2016
    Hello! I'm new to chickens. My wife and I recently went to a poultry auction after the 3 laying hens we had were eaten by something. While at the auction I struck up a conversation with a lady that seemed to know what was going on. I told her that we were new to chickens and looking for a good egg producer. She told me that she had 2 chickens that she had brought to auction off that would be good for us. We lost the auction on the first hen. Her next chicken was sold as a game rooster. She swore that it was a hen and I bought it hoping she wasn't tricking me, she was extremely nice and knowledgeable. So I bought a chicken that I'm not sure is a rooster or hen.
    To even more complicate the situation they didn't track the chicken after I bought it so I'm not even sure that I got the chicken that I bought! Hah.
    Either way it is a really pretty bird so I'm not too concerned, but I am curious. Can anyone tell me what breed it might be and if it's a hen or a rooster? I have looked through all 18 pages in the "breeds" section and can't find anything that looks similar. I can post more pics if needed. Thanks in advance![​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017

2. Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Im not exactly sure on the breed i was thinking something like an [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Ameraucana [/COLOR]or EE? And it is a certainly a rooster. To keep him happy you need a couple more hens...

Best luck [​IMG]

-Mustang

3. Cel45

Cel45 Songster

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Unfortunately, she took you the bank. See the dangly feathers in front of the tail, the long hackle feathers on the neck, only roosters have those. Also the red bleeding in on the wings is a rooster trait. You won't be getting eggs out of him, only crows.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  4. Cel45

Cel45 Songster

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Unfortunately, she took you the bank. See the dangly feathers in front of the tail, the long hackle feathers on the neck, only roosters have those. Also the red bleeding in on the wings is a rooster trait. You won't be getting eggs out of him, only crows.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

That's a mixed breed rooster.

He may be an Easter egger, but since he's not going to lay any eggs for you, it's kind of a moot point.

Shame on the seller. I hope the little bit of money she walked away with was worth her integrity.

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Mixed breed rooster.

8. braehedge

braehedge In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    Looks like an easter egger to me, and a rooster at that. That's why I don't buy at auctions anymore, too many snake oil salesmen. :(

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - situations like this are why I am such an advocate of those new to the hobby arming themselves with as much knowledge as they can when it comes to identifying birds, etc because, as you have had the misfortune of learning, there are some very unscrupulous folks out there.

10. mcelrathn

mcelrathn Hatching

Nov 6, 2016
    First, thank you all very much for the responses. I honestly expected some "do some research dummy!" comments. But I was pleasantly surprised that everyone was respectful and informative. I had noticed the tail feathers and it made me think it was a rooster, however the the lack of wattles made me think otherwise. I do realize that is breed related, but with no idea of what it was I was kind of at a loss. Also, his mannerisms had me thinking he was a hen. I've never had a rooster so I have no idea how they are supposed to act, however, I thought he would be more aggressive. He is in a coop with 4 other hens, I'm positive they are hens, haha. Anyways, he gets picked on by all 4! Two of them are older and bigger, but the other two are about the same size as him. Plus I have never heard him crow. I've had him for about a week now and I'm outside everyday at 5:30 A.M. and nothing.

I may have given the lady a bad rap from the get go. She was really helpful and actually told me to stop bidding on her first hen after it got a little high. I figure I either got the wrong chicken at the end of the auction, or she simply didn't know that it was a rooster either. She had mentioned that she had never heard it crow. I was definitely skeptical of the situation, but at the end of the day I paid 2 bucks for him. Which is why I was ok with it. I had a blast, definitely learned a lot in the process. And if nothing else it finally got me to make my first post.

Thank you all again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by