Got three Welsummers and three Speckled Sussex today!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KentuckyChick, Aug 3, 2010.

1. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chirping

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Who's who? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. buckabucka

buckabucka Crowing

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Oh! I'm sure someone will know. I had the exact same problem with my chicks (3 welsummers, 2 speckled sussex, and a bunch of dark cornish that also had a similar pattern). I think the one with the defined triangle at the top of the photo means it is definitely a pullet, (and a welsummer?).
    Sorry I cannot be of more help, - it took me WEEKS to know who was who! [​IMG]
    Robin

3. chicknerd

chicknerd Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    Soo cute!!! I got mine last week and I was jealous of my DH as he was the one who got to go to the Post Office and pick them up.

Congrats!!![​IMG]

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Can you see a difference in their feet yet? The wellies should have yellowish legs, the sussex will have pink legs that are eventually white.

5. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chirping

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Quote:I honestly hadn't paid attention. I'll look!

6. empireranch

empireranch Chirping

Jun 21, 2010
    I got one of each 5 weeks ago and for the first few weeks thought they were the same!! From the second picture the one top left looks like my Welsummer (based on the triangular marking on head) and the one whose head is at "3 o'clock" has the same head marking as my Speckled Sussex - both had triangle shaped markings, but the Welsummer's triangle was bigger. I am hoping both mine are pullets. It did take a few weeks before I saw a difference in the leg color.

7. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Hi Kentucky Chick! Congrats on your babies! I borrowed your photo and marked the babies that are Wellies. You will love them! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Dang you're good!

9. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Dang you're good!

LOL! Thanks! I went by the creamyier lighter stripes down either side of the back. [​IMG]

10. jenn-E

jenn-E Chirping

May 6, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have both Speckled Sussex and Welsummer, and I agree it's hard to tell the chicks apart. My Speckled Sussex had slightly yellow bellies. As their wing feathers came in, the Speckled Sussex got a white feather at the edge. The leg color is very obviously different now, but looked similar as chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by