Got tired of my 4 week olds wasting tons of food!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by seattlehens83, Sep 21, 2011.

1. seattlehens83

seattlehens83 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Seattle
    Just got fed up with my 4 week old pullets wasting so much food. Here is what I was using:

[​IMG]

And here is what I came up with:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rather I should say that this is what I came up with after seeing sooo many great designs from others.

It would really be great if we could get a feeder/waterer page like the coop design and incubator pages going. Might be a really good way for newbies like me and others to grab a look at a lot of different designs pretty quick.

2. Silkiesandco

Silkiesandco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Canada eh?
    Looks awesome! Maybe i should try.....

3. angusshangus

angusshangus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Verona, NJ
    Do you have blueprints for this?

4. seattlehens83

seattlehens83 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Seattle
    I dont have blue prints I just kinda made it up as I was going along. Here is a little sketch to get anyone started:

[​IMG]

I made 2 of these pieces first and then just cut and nailed pieces to close up all the gaps as I went along.

Here is another litle sketch that might help... its kind of a side view so you can see how it works. Really simple to make. I used a nail gun and 2" nails. Might be a little harder to do with traditional nails but you could just ask someone to help hold stuff for you while you hammer.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps. Really I just used some leftover siding that I had from the coop so nothing too scientific.

I can probably make some templates if I have time later tonight.

Seems to be keeping the chicks from spilling any food so far!!!!

5. angusshangus

angusshangus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Verona, NJ
    Thanks!!! I may just have to copy yours!

6. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    Cool feeder!

7. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I like how it still leaves lots of floor space for them, with the storage up and overhanging. I may have to make one too [​IMG]

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    [​IMG]

9. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    I think I'm going to copy this! My birds were wasting lots of feed earlier this year. I was using the hanging feeders and very mad over the dollars and dollars of feed getting wasted each day. It was not until I moved my pigeons into their own coop that I realized it was the pigeons knocking the feed out of the hanging feeders and not my chickens. Currently the pigeons are getting fed in a rubber pan that I only fill half full to limit the amount of wasted feed. This would work perfect for them and I can probably modify it with a roosting bar on the front and hang it on the wall. [​IMG]

10. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Very Nice job... This looks good and i'm thinking of building a very similar one [​IMG]

If I might suggest something... you might wanna add a small board at the back to avoid a "dead area" where feed might stay in that back bottom for long periods of time.

I drew a red line where I think a small board might help..... so all the feed will be fresh and used up(just a thought)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by