Got to be a rooster...right???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brandiskip, Feb 28, 2016.

1. brandiskip

brandiskip Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I swear this 11 week old is a rooster but a more experienced person told me it's a pullet. He said due to the dark legs and beak, it's a pullet. I think it's a roo because it's comb is obviously larger than the others and it also has feathers on its tail that are getting longer. Just the feathers on the tip are a beautiful green and a bit longer. It is a mixed breed so below, I'm going to post a picture of the roo and hen that it came from, although I'm not sure exactly which hen as they are not my chickens. Any help would be greatly appreciated because if it is a roo, I want him gone. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    85 % certain he is a cockerel. If he is male, pointy hackle and saddle feathers should soon appear. I think I can see them now, but am not 100 % on that.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    x2.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Trust yourself [​IMG]. That's definitely a cockerel. That much comb at this young age indicates a male. Also, the leakage of color on the wings is a male trait.

5. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    I agree.

6. brandiskip

brandiskip Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2015
    Thank you thank you thank you! I'm still fairly new to this and I 2nd guess myself. Especially when someone tells me differently. He looks like he will be beautiful one day but I just don't need him :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by