Got to love chicken math!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by yoie, Apr 4, 2011.

1. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

It all started with my hubby saying yes to only 6 chickens tops. And I promised myself I would not get any more chicks, but I got a reply from Ideal saying they had ones available that I really wanted! How could I resist! So besides the 14 older ones in the coop and 8 in the brooder; I now have 7 more coming in MAY! Maybe I can talk my hubby into another coop [​IMG] I can always say it can be a Mothers Day gift right! Who knew chickens were so addictive! You need at least one of each breed right, that's how chicken math works right [​IMG]

2. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    I think if you and I lived closer together we would always be in trouble.

I originally only wanted 7 hens,

Now I have 40 plus chickens...

one of my cochin bantams had a bad leg, so in placement of her I ordered 2 of the same and 8 of the golden laced wyandotte bantams..

what am I getting myself into??

3. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    Can you all move closer to me? We started with 8 (6 Golden Comets and 2 Golden Sebrights) lost the Sebrights, in a panick ordered 25 Barred Rocks. Went to Long John's for fish, and stopped at Rural King for chick starter. Walked out with 16 more (10 SLW, 4 RIR, 2 Buff Orps)

Edited to add that we are in the process of building TWO 160 sq. ft coops for any extras that may came along.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  4. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    My wife would love to add chickens at whim, but I (being the logical, party pooper type) point out to her that: 1, we don't have enough housing for more chickens, and 2, chicken feed keeps going up, and it costs money to feed chickens unless you have a large pasture for them to free range in.

Thus far, bombarding her with logic while she's swooning in front of the baby chick cages at the local feed store has kept me from having to listen to alot of peepers chirp as we make the drive back home.

In all seriousness, baby chicks are so seductively charming, but they will eventually grow up into feed-consuming, squawking, cantankerous bags of feathers...

(OK, I have my kevlar jacket on, and I'm ready to get tarred and feathered by the BYC crowd for saying this... )

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  5. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Never, my husband is the same way and it keeps me in line. I do have more than we need but I also have a few friends that are unable to raise chicks at thier own home so I get what I like, let them grow out pick my favs and the others go off to new homes. It is just nice to see them all grow up and my kids love naming them! We are hoping that when all is said and done we have a nice bakers dozen in the backyard. A little variety but hopefully some good layers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by