got to love it when they purr !

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by realsis, Jan 14, 2014.

1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I went in to clip one of my young silkies nails. I'm not quite sure the sex yet because it's only about 3 1/2 months old but I'm leaning toward male.anyway I clips his or her nails then started petting it's beard. It loved it so much it started purring. That little silkie purred for about 30 minutes straight while I gently petted it's beard face and head. It was the sweetest sound ever! ! I always love it when they purr. I know they are truly happy and comfortable. It always surprises me a little when they start to purr. Who would have thought that chickens purr too when they are happy? This was just a sweet little story I wanted to share with you all. Don't you just love it when your chicken purrs??

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. PBGGG

PBGGG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2013
    Maine
    My roo Finn does it all the time. It is my favorite sound that he makes! He does it when we cough or sneeze. Finn will make a short purring sound (pretty loud, you can hear it from the other room) like he is mocking us.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    That purring sound is so sweet. Apparently your silkie doesn't mind getting a nail clipping as long as it comes with a massage.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes she or he is a great bird! Just let's me do anything! ! I'm Really lucky.out of my three babies two are so tame and I can just do anything! ! My third baby doesn't much care for people and hates being held or picked up.I'm working on her though. The other two have always been super sweet!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. SampyArctica

SampyArctica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't think there anyone who doesn't like it when they purr. ^_^

Mine don't really like being touched or picked up during the day, but they always jump up on my lap for me to lavish all my affection on them about half an hour before 'bedtime' and they purr then. It's the sweetest noise ever!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by