1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Got to love my city-fied neighbors they are very entertaining

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Darklingstorm, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Since we have a huge yard and our neighbors & us wanted a garden we did it together. We foot the bill for the water and they weed (i can't stand the heat). So the other night my neighbor D is out weeding. When she got close to the trees out jumps one of production red pullets. Scared her something fierce. She came to the house but I was busy with my son and didn't hear her. So she decided to get the chick out of the garden herself. After all how hard could one chick be, right. So she opens the gate and tries to maneuver the chick out (she has this thing about getting too close to my chicks - they make her nervous). Well after several minutes of this she decides to try something new. So with the gate standing open, she goes out into the yard and does my call (I call " here chick chick" when giving them treats). She forgot one important fact, I have more than one chicken. So here they come at a full run, wings flapping and squaking (8 chickens & 2 ducks) straight at her. She freaks and runs back into the garden, but lucky for her, the crazed running woman was too much for the pullet and it took off out the gate. She now prefers for me to "watch" her as she does the weeding. [​IMG]

2. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:Hahaha!!!

Sweet deal, by the way!

3. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    That's hilarious! [​IMG] I can just picture her now!

4. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Reminds me of my friend who came over the other day because she wants some chooks but needed to "make sure her 2 year old" wasn't scared of them. The Daughter LOVED them, fed them, petted them, even said "chick chick" for the first time because she saw when I did they came running.

But when my friend went to feed them she got so scared when the hen showed interest she dropped the seed!! saying "I just hate how you can't tell when they're gonna peck you!!!"
    these are bantams too. I hope her landlord doesn't allow it for the chooks sake *sigh*

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  5. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    [​IMG][​IMG]:

Good laugh!!!! Wish I saw that in person lol

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  6. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    haha!
    While we were on holidays, we had a friend house-sit for us. Problem was that she was terrified of chickens and she had to feed them every day [​IMG]
    While on holidays, she called us and told us that the chickens were creeping her out and she was scared of them. When we got back she walked out of the house with a pullet in her arms!

7. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Quote:I'm ashamed to admit this, but I used to be scared of picking up chickens. I was afraid I'd hurt them. Once I was house-sitting, and one of the hens decided to go for a wander around the block. [​IMG] It was 90 degrees, and I trudged around the suburb until I located her a block away sitting under a tree. I was soooo scared of picking her up that I ran home and rang my friend who owned chickens - she had to drive over and get the chicken for me! [​IMG]. Now I pick them up all the time, and even think they are kinda cuddly.

8. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    I used to be scared of feeding them out of my hands [​IMG]

9. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Great story one of my kids friends used to be scared and this friend is a guy. He ran from my bantam EE's which are really tiny [​IMG] He would not come out into the yard if they where out free ranging. My DS helped him finally get over his fear the only thing is he stills scared of my big "rooster" which is my red sex link hen [​IMG] my rooster is a bantam Cochin. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    LOL very cute. Great deal on the garden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by