Got to put on my veterinarian hat yesterday

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by TerriLaChicks, Sep 16, 2010.

1. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    They talk about curiosity & cats, but cats have nothing on these young peacocks!

I got to put on my veterinary hat yesterday. I went out yesterday evening to give the peas their evening treat (spiral pasta) & the largest one, Jabba, was hunched up in a corner with his eyes closed. I thought "O NO!" & walked over & picked him up. There was a piece of flight netting protruding from his beak.

I started to pull it & nothing happened, I opened his beak wider & saw it was wrapped around his tongue-- hooked up around the back of it.

Jim (my husband) had come outside & I called him to come help. He came over & held Jabba & tipped him back so I could see down into his throat.

I pulled & pulled -- and pulled. I pulled out almost 6 inches of flight netting from down his throat! finally I pulled out a gob of grass & slime tangled in netting.

How he found it I'll never know, I looked all over that coop and run and couldn't find any more like it - unless he flew up & clung to the top of the cage & somehow got it there. It must have been a stray piece that had blown into a clump of grass is all I can figure.

We set him down & he immediately shook himself off & walked over & got a drink of water & then started to eat.
    I imagine his little throat was probably sore though!

Jim said, " Well.....that was definitely the "gross" highlight of my day" and I agreed.

Is there anything else I ought to do for him, do you think? he seemed to be perfectly fine this morning.

2. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know if there is anything else you should do for him, hopefully someone will advise. . .might want to watch him just in case of infection from where it had to have scratched his throat . . .poor fella, you know he had to feel really bad!!! Isn't it just amazing how we are sort of "led" to where one of our critters are having an issue . . .I lost a gorgeous male Alpaca this June and I knew when I didn't see him standing at the barn door looking out, something was "off" and sure enough, went out and found him dead in the stall . . . glad your story turned out with a gross (Ha!!) happy ending!!!

3. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist Premium Member

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I think you did pretty good and probably saved its life [​IMG] .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by