1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Got to see an egg laid in person for 1st time!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennsPeeps, Dec 14, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I walked out to my coop today and opened the nesting box this morning. My single laying pullet, Gwen, was in there. Normally she gets mad & leaves but this time she was standing in a weird stance. I stood there and watched, and about 5 seconds later, she laid her egg.

I'd never seen a chicken lay an egg before. [​IMG] How cool!!!

I think she's the quietest layer ever. She doesn't make a sound before, during, or after. No egg "song" or anything. She's a great bird. Gotta love those BSLs! [​IMG]

2. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    pretty cool huh

3. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    I love my chickens. One of my EE lays standing up. She is really quiet too unless I have cracked corn in my hand. She eats from my hand in the laying box and talks softly to me. Then she goes into this trance, stands up and voile. One day, that barred rock flew up to see what I was doing Eagle was in her nesting box for the pre lay and saw Moonlight, her hackle feather puffed up, her body feathers puffed up, her beak opened up and you could see to the back of her throat, she let out this most haunting screech, like nothing I have ever heard. She looked just like a lizard who's neck flaps spread out when upset. It was creepy weird. Now I know why some people think that birds evolved from lizards or visa versa.

4. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    WOW!!! How totally cool!!!![​IMG]

I would think that watching your hen lay an egg would be totally awesome!!![​IMG] If she does it in front of you, she must be very comfortable with you -- how great!!![​IMG]

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Normally she gets mad and leaves the box. I think she was almost done when i surprised her by opening the pop door today. But still!!!

6. pookiethebear

pookiethebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    I also got to witness one of my hens laying. She is generally very vocal and upset when I disturb her in the next box. One morning I went out to clean out the nest boxes from the overnight poops and there she was I was trying to clean around her and then I heard a soft pppppfffffffthhhhh... and she moved. There was a wet freshly laid egg. How wonderful!

7. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Ahhh..seeing one of your hens laying is great. My daughter and I watched our FIRST egg being laid. I was all ready with camera in hand! It was the best!!!

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    First time I watched my pullet laying an egg I thought something was wrong with her. Its very interesting to watch.

9. tunaoftheland

tunaoftheland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    wow, that's so neat. I've never seen any of mine lay an egg, they get annoyed like you said yours normally do. Now that is a fresh egg [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by