Got to Sew Up another chicken today...............

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenzoo, Jan 4, 2011.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

My little Bantam Cornish hen ,Cornelia has some age to her, but she's been laying very well. I noticed her trying to lay an egg, so I waited around to collect it. When I saw the egg I also noticed it looked like she had prolapsed. On closer inspection part of the inner end intestines hooked to the vent had a good size hole in it. Waste was trying to come out that hole.... So I grabbed her up and took her into the house, placed down the puppy pad, towel, iodine, wound wash, hemroid cream, soluble sutures, ( that thanks to these situations I keep on hand now...). Wrapped her up, cleaned it out, stitched her up and applied wash and iodine and H cream. Then I gave her some Amoxicillian to fight infection.... She seemed in good spirits and when i put her back she happily ate and drank. I took out Cornelius, and put him in the cage beside her. I think he tried to breed her while she was laying and put the hole in her....... fingers crossed she stays good.
    I should have been a vet......[​IMG]

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Wow. Yes, you should have [​IMG]
    Hope all will be well!
    JJ

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You should have been a vet...I totally agree!

4. scarletbaby

scarletbaby Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    I could have used your help earlier today. Could have saved me an expensive vet bill. [​IMG]

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

Hope she heals quick.

6. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Glad u caught it in time. Sending payers for healing blessings. [​IMG]

7. anythingbutsandy

anythingbutsandy Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Kyle, Texas
    I still get a good laugh from my non-BYC-lover friends about using Prep-H and honey and poking back in a prolapsed vent on one of my girls last year. Good luck with yours!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by