got two eggs today.. I think?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sheeshshe, Oct 23, 2009.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    LOL! we've always gotten just one so far and a couple of yolks here and there... but never 2 eggs in one day. I checked last night and no eggs, I checked this morning and no eggs... DH goes out there and there are 2 eggs and one is jumbo. I can't imagine that I missed one when I looked last night and this morning, right? but the small one is consistent with the ones we've been getting. would someones first egg be jumbo?

and the two eggs are the same color as well... thoughts?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I think you should have scrambled eggs! Congratulations!

3. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    My little hens laid several double yolkers in the beginning that were huge.

4. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    oh interesting!!! I wonder if its a double yolker, now I'm excited to break into it!!

5. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    it was a double yolker! SO exciting!!! Now I wish I knew who laid it!

6. ecocheapomom

ecocheapomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Ours have been laying for about 7 weeks and we still get a double yolker here and there. The huge ones are always doubles. It is still fun!
    Have you tried looking at their vents? That's how I tell who is laying.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  7. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    what do I look for when checking their vents?

8. ecocheapomom

ecocheapomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I can tell because the ones that have been laying have a moist and more open vent. The ones that haven't layed are puckered up. This is what I was told to look for when I took a Chicken Husbandry class. I also think my girls that lay tend to be a bit poopy on their back end.
    I check them about once per week to see who is doing what. I never thought I would spend so much time looking at chickens butts! Now I can do it easily, I just pick them up and tuck them under my arm with their head down, holding their wings down with my elbow.
    Do you have any that have a more developed comb? That has also been a fairly good indicator for us.

9. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    I have one who I KNOW is laying because we've seen her. Its the other one who we're not sure who it is. there is one with big wattles that are red... I assumed she was laying the yolks? but we've never witnessed her laying anything.

I could try and pick her up and check her vent but she's the ring leader and flips out and doesn't want to be picked up, LOL! I can try though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by