Got two in the brooder, one falls over

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JustAChickenLittle&More, Dec 12, 2010.

1. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Ok, so I have two blue (I think) silkies. The dark blue, almost black, is doing great, very active, very noisy if he sees you. The other looks like grey or lavender, and he keeps falling over on his back, 3 times in the last hour. He kicks like crazy trying to get back over. Any suggestions?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Poly Visol, but it being a silkie, it's probably not going to make it. I have given up on hatching that breed completely.

3. JustAChickenLittle&More

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Yeah, they do seem like hard keepers so to speak. I used to order them as chicks but so many died enroute. I decided to try my hand at hatching them myself.

4. i<3chickens

i<3chickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Ontario---Canada
    Maybe if you put ACV in the water it could help????? I'm not sure about what else though.

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    For some reason silkie hatchlings are prone to that. Most of them that I have had do the flopping thing don't make it. Every now and then though you can nurse one back to health and they seem fine after that (no different from their peers).
    Keep it warm. Use the polyvisol if you have it. Make up some wet mash (chick starter in warm water) and try to get some food in it. I have used grogel to some success too. THe gorgel and wet mash help keep it hydrated. The polyvisol seems to help the vitamin deficiency that causes that neck flopping thing.

Good luck. They are pitiful when they can't get back up. [​IMG]

6. JustAChickenLittle&More

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Thanks guys. It's about twenty eight to thirty hours old. Seems to be doing alright except for the flopping over thing. It's a lavender so I hope it makes it. [​IMG]

7. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    the 3 that just hatched for me started out very clumsy. They appear to be much better. Shrek was in the brooder Saturday as he hatched on Friday.
    Rita had a hard time but is now showing she is determined to make it.
    Lola is the shy one that I did give a couple of drops of the Poly Visol to. It perked her up and she began to eat more like the other 2.

Here is Rita, Shrek, and Lola

[​IMG]

I made mash with their chicken start food by adding warm water. Cut the bottom out of a small styrofoam cup to make a short feeding dish for them as they are so tiny.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Good job!! They are so cute. I wish I could manage to hatch some that lived!

9. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    I am just tickled to have these. The other 5 eggs are still in the bator with no pips just some movement and it is now day 24!
    Shrek hatched on day 22.
    Rita hatched on day 23 with Lola hatching soon after. (We went to bed when Lola started her zip)

When yal told me that Silkies take their sweet time yal were not kidding! [​IMG]

10. JustAChickenLittle&More

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Well he wasn't looking too good so I stuck him back in the bator. We'll see! I'm crossing my fingers and toes. His and mine. Didn't know what else to do, but now the other one is alone in the brooder chirping his butt off. I don't know whether to try to put him in with the month old babies or not??? I put a stuffed bear in there but I suppose he is not stupid. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by