1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

got two new farm cats!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gmendoza, Dec 19, 2011.

1. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Well I done did it. Since Scrapper died over two months ago, weve been inidated with vermin again so I needed a couple of feral/barn/farm cats again.

So I made a cat "acclimation" coop. Its 4' long x 2' wide x 4' high. It has a perch shelf, and a cat house thats 1' x 2' x 1' high.

I got both boy cats from a nice lady in Gastonia,NC Yesterday,and they are in the cathouse...all cramped up and chaffing. [​IMG]

They need to get used to the surrounding smells and sounds before I turn them loose.Id say about 3-5 weeks.

They got food/water/ and John-box facilities that I have been checking every day.

They are: a big grey and white mixed mutt, and a maine coon.

Cant wait til they get their bearings and come out. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Congratulations! Any pictures? [​IMG]

3. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Iz lovez kittehhhhhhhs!

4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    When you move a cat, butter it's paws. I learned this from an English friend years ago. Years ago, I moved from one rent house to another, my little girl and I smeared butter ALLLLLLL OVER our cat's paws, set him down and he took off like a rocket. It got late, cat had not returned, little girl was worried and getting weepy.........MEOW! He was at the door! LOL It worked! The idea is that the cat absolutely will not let the butter stay on it's paws. He will immediately lick the butter off, go through his whole grooming routine and relax in the process.....he's home now. I have used the butter-paws several times and it really does work.

5. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Quote:I have also used this technique, it works well but i'm pretty sure it's not 'cause they don't wanna be dirty that they lick it off, it's 'cause cats are dairy fiends and love butter, cream cheese, mayonnaise etc. lol.

6. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Well they are in their acclimation house.

They seem to be doing fine.I had to give more food today and clean the litter pan.A sure sign of them starting to come out. Seen both of them for a brief moment til they got spooked and went into their house.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by