Got water ONTO pip hole!! Help!

BeanSprout

Chirping
May 4, 2021
I was adding water into the hole on my incubator to increase humidity. It’s been a weird few days in my chicken world. I staggered eggs in the incubator from my hen and rooster to see if they’d hatch. The first one hatched two days ago and I sold her today (so she wasn’t lonely any more). I always planned to sell them if they hatched, but initially truly didn’t think they would bc my silkie hens just started laying, and my rooster just started to crow. Idk what I was thinking lol. After I sold her today, I quickly candled the remaining eggs figuring they may not have continued developing after the humidity shot up high following the first hatch. One was clearly dead so i disposed of it. The other three seemed okay. All this to say, I shifted the eggs around in the bator. Because I didn’t think of it, I got water on the pipped egg. Just a few drops, but one landed DIRECTLY on the pip:(
I opened it and very gently touched the water spot on the pip hole with a paper towel to remove it. It was open for maybe 3 seconds.

DID I LIKELY KILL THE CHICK? Either with the water on the pip or opening the bator?

Thanks for reading my stress rant.

(Pic of the other baby that we sold today)

Attachments

• 9367E136-DA6B-4BE6-ADFA-C2586DC3A69B.jpeg
    9367E136-DA6B-4BE6-ADFA-C2586DC3A69B.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 33
DID I LIKELY KILL THE CHICK? Either with the water on the pip or opening the bator?
No you didn't, at least not because of that. I totally get the first hatch worries though! :hugs

Good luck! First chick is a charm! :love

By the way, humidity is not AS important as you think. It IS important, but not to the point of killing your chick if it gets a little high. Temperature spikes are much, MUCH, worse. I have had my humidity go to 10% for several hours with no issues. Sometimes I just wake up and the humidity is at 10%. I recommend keeping a sponge in there if you have not already. They are great for keeping the humidity up.

Opening the incubator is also no where near that bad.

No you didn't, at least not because of that. I totally get the first hatch worries though! :hugs

Good luck! First chick is a charm! :love

By the way, humidity is not AS important as you think. It IS important, but not to the point of killing your chick if it gets a little high. Temperature spikes are much, MUCH, worse. I have had my humidity go to 10% for several hours with no issues. Sometimes I just wake up and the humidity is at 10%. I recommend keeping a sponge in there if you have not already. They are great for keeping the humidity up.

Opening the incubator is also no where near as bad as you think.
It’s actually not my first hatch (hatched the parents of these incubating babies!) but I tend to go a year or more in between so it always feels like the first time! Especially when something unexpected happens. Thanks for your reassurance!

I was just worried the water may have sunk in to the pip hole since it was directly on it

Back
Top Bottom