GotCha! Weasel in the hen house! WEASEL QUESTION? & **PIC**

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Capt. Crusoe, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Capt. Crusoe

Capt. Crusoe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2007
    McHenry County, IL
    I caught this guy outside of the run. Anyone know if they run in pairs or groups?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    wow, I have never seen one before...sorry, can't answer your question but had to say, good catch!

3. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    He is so cute [​IMG]

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    That ia a long-tailed weasel. They are nocturnal and solitary but extremely aggressive carnivores that strike quickly and to the nape of the neck.

Here is some info on them if you would like to look at it.

http://www.americazoo.com/goto/index/mammals/274.htm

The least weasel is smaller, reddish fur and eat moles, frogs, rats, small birds and such...it is solitary also but is out during the day and night. But that guy does not look like a least or common weasel at all.

Cute vicious little thing.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  5. Capt. Crusoe

Capt. Crusoe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2007
    McHenry County, IL
    Thanks for the "link". Good information and glad to know they are solitary animal. As for "Fight per Ounce" They seem like a real contender and I am glad he found the trap verses my feathered friends. Another trap is back in place until I figure out to do with this one. YIKES! Now I’ve got weasels! I just eliminated 3 wild mink not too long back! I guess there is no telling what all may creep and crawl our prairie and woods.

[​IMG]

Thanks again.

6. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    I worry about minks and weasels because a river runs right through my property. I know we have skunks and opossum near the house. Ugh!

7. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Oh what did you use for bait, we have tried catching a mink for the last 3 years he is a devil.

8. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Ms. Lewis Rich :

Oh what did you use for bait, we have tried catching a mink for the last 3 years he is a devil.

That's what I want to know too.​

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm impressed that you managed to trap it. Good for you! I'm curious as to your bait, also.

10. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    hello my friend catches these all the time. he puts a can of sardines and a dead squirrel. if you don't have the dead squirrel is okay you can still get him with the sardines. this is also good for catching ratcoons and fishercats. i hope i helped out a little. bobby

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by