gotta broody day number 34.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fishnet1971, Dec 20, 2011.

1. My White Cochin Princess has been broody for over a month now and I can not seem to break her. I have checked everyone else's 'what to do's' and have done a lot lof them. No luck. If i let her sit with no eggs and make sure she is eating and drinking will she come out of it on her own eventually? I just can not put her in the cold or stuff right now. cant. it's winter here in Ohio, and i think she is already getting the sniffles a little. [​IMG] She is only 8 months old and its her first winter.... boo hooo.. wanted to enjoy the snow with her!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took away the nest box already as well.

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    It happens! My silkies do this ALL the time, the little brats. The longest I had one sit, on NOTHING, was 45 days. My silkies are great for hatching my ducks since they'll sit the full 35 days. She determined, but long as she's eating and drinking, she'll be fine and eventually come out of it on her own. [​IMG]

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I always break before they do and give them a couple of fertile eggs [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Can you find a chick or 2 to slip under her?

5. nononononon noooo chicks!!!! i have a dozen in my coop now (10X12 shed) and i dont want to overcrowd them anymore!!!! Although I am sure 'Bird would love a few more girls around.....[​IMG]

I am making sure she eats a good meal at least once a day, drinks well at least once a day with me when i go down to play with them in the late afternoon when i get home from work and such. I take her outside with me when i can, she pot's around for awhile then does the 'broody' cluck adn struts back to the coop and plopps herself right back down again.

I just want to make sure that i am not doing anything wrong that might jeopardize her health or life by letting her set of air!!!!! especially for this long.

6. although i have enough property, grass, and roaming ground for DOZENS more chickens..... hmm.... if only i knew how to build another taj mahal for them.... hm...... TWO coops.... hmmm......

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have 3 coops. [​IMG] 2 that have permanent residents and 1 that is a brooder/broody/growout coop.

8. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I'm afraid I had to expand into another (walk in) coop due to my softness on broodies.

I also have hens who sleep with the dog and a couple who have taken up residence in the agricultural shed (barn).

9. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

yea, that's our chicken math getting the best of us I know.... I wish i really could, but i cant expand right now. My new garage is just being built, and doesnt have a roof yet... [​IMG] little does DH know... the girls are moving in........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by