Gotta deal with spurs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tdgill, Dec 22, 2009.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

My hens are starting to show some wear
    looking for my pedipaws and clippers, cringing at the thought of pliers, wondering about hot potatoes, vet wrap and a rubber eraser or sparring gloves. At the moment I have them separated for a bit. Where should I start? Like to just be able to trim the spurs minimally and not see the hens lose feathers. Does it work just filing off the tip of the spur? or do you have to be more thorough. and I wanted to make note when he's doing his thang, if his toenails are just as much the culprit.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Take your handy dandy Dremel tool, and cut the spur off even with the leg, quick, and cauterizes at the same time.

3. tdgill

sounds quick and almost painless. at least not as much pain as he probably is causing the hens? Didnt I read a post of yours and you mention the particular wheel you used?

4. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I posted it somewhere, but if you look in the dremel section its a thin wheel designed to cut small bolts.

5. tdgill

gotcha. thanks. will have to look for some video first. lol. I'm chicken

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have seen an experienced chicken person just twist off the old spur. It comes off and leaves a smaller, same shape appendage that is pink/red and grows over with new spur, much smaller, like a younger bird.

7. tdgill

yeah, have been looking at that also.

Any other input on how ppl like to do (or not do) spurs?

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I take dog toenail clippers and just blunt the end myself.

9. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:You bring that bird for a visit, it will take about 30 seconds.

10. Freeholder

Freeholder Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    I know an older lady who has been raising poultry all her life, and she showed me how to use pliers to twist the spur off. It's basically a horny shell over a fleshy interior; it barely bleeds, if at all, and doesn't seem to bother the rooster a bit. He does grow new spurs, so it has to be repeated about once a year, but it protects the hens in the meantime. And almost everyone has a pair of pliers around someplace! [​IMG]

Kathleen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by