Gotta Goose Question. Will female geese breed eachother?!?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Wolf-Kim, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I was offered goose eggs for baking. I asked if they were fertile, because I would rather set them [​IMG] and the person responded that they do not know whether they have a male or not. They have witnessed the geese mating, but have yet to find fertile eggs.

Will female geese mount eachother?

-Kim

2. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    My guess is Yes they will, crack an egg in a bowl and see if its fertile..................

3. youdontknow32

youdontknow32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    South Western PA
    I think they will also.

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    i dont have geese but i saw a three duck pile up last year. A male on a female with another male on top.

5. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Female geese will mount one another, but it's a show of dominance. Normally you see the goose on the bottom arch his or her neck into an upside down U shape with the bill almost touching the ground and will stay that way until the dominant goose lets him up.

Males will do this, too, but I've noticed that younger males use submissive males as "practice." That or they get way too excited and they do finish the deed. The goose on the bottom keeps his neck in the U position (and normally looks completely humiliated) while the male on top honks and tells the world about his accomplishment. Anyone not sure whether they have to young males or a pair would probably be convinced that the deed has been done.

It's worth doing a fertility check. Don't forget to ask about whether the eggs have been in the fridge or not [​IMG]

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks. I was curious because she lives near me and doesn't know the sex of her two, but her geese are laying already. Where, I have yet to find eggs, which makes me question the gender of my two!

Although, I haven't even seen my two try to mate, so I suppose it's a waiting game. [​IMG]

Very informative Omni! Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

-Kim

7. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Vent sex [​IMG]

Laying is frustrating. Someone who purchased American Buffs out of my geese is already getting eggs from theirs. So far I've seen mine breeding and half-heartedly making nests but haven't found a single egg. I know I have females in there - I just need to wait for them to start laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by