Gotta Goose Question. Will female geese breed eachother?!?

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
I was offered goose eggs for baking. I asked if they were fertile, because I would rather set them
wink.png
and the person responded that they do not know whether they have a male or not. They have witnessed the geese mating, but have yet to find fertile eggs.

Will female geese mount eachother?

-Kim

Female geese will mount one another, but it's a show of dominance. Normally you see the goose on the bottom arch his or her neck into an upside down U shape with the bill almost touching the ground and will stay that way until the dominant goose lets him up.

Males will do this, too, but I've noticed that younger males use submissive males as "practice." That or they get way too excited and they do finish the deed. The goose on the bottom keeps his neck in the U position (and normally looks completely humiliated) while the male on top honks and tells the world about his accomplishment. Anyone not sure whether they have to young males or a pair would probably be convinced that the deed has been done.

It's worth doing a fertility check. Don't forget to ask about whether the eggs have been in the fridge or not
smile.png

Thanks. I was curious because she lives near me and doesn't know the sex of her two, but her geese are laying already. Where, I have yet to find eggs, which makes me question the gender of my two!

Although, I haven't even seen my two try to mate, so I suppose it's a waiting game.
tongue.png

Very informative Omni! Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

-Kim

Vent sex
smile.png

Laying is frustrating. Someone who purchased American Buffs out of my geese is already getting eggs from theirs. So far I've seen mine breeding and half-heartedly making nests but haven't found a single egg. I know I have females in there - I just need to wait for them to start laying.

Back
Top Bottom