1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gotta have treats!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LilyD, May 11, 2011.

1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Our new favorite treat at 2 weeks old is banana. Boy do they go crazy for it.

2. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Really?? How do u feed that to them??

3. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    It was my first time doing it today. I had a very mushy banana that was still normal color just squishy so I mashed it up some more and put it in a dish for them. They were confused to find it wasn't their usual fair but after they tried it they loved it. Now they are arguing over who gets to eat it lol. Chicks are so much fun.

4. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I'll have to try that...but I have 29 peeps so I'll have to let a few bananas go soft or there will b WWIII trying to get them! [​IMG] I have 3-5 week olds and have a long list of treats...crickets rank at #1 tho! [​IMG]

5. georgiaboy

georgiaboy New Egg

May 4, 2011
    Hi! I love giving my chickens treats, but only once or twice a week. My lil cluckers love tomato, cabbage, cucumber, and especially melons!! I always save the inners of a cantaloupe or honeydew for them, then I give them the rind to clean up after we get to enjoy some too as well. But I think watermelon is the favorite on a hot summer day!!

6. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:I haven't tried crickets yet mainly because I cannot find any grit in our area small enough for my fuzzys. I need to stick to snacks that are soft and mushy so they don't need to break it down with grit until I can find some that actually will work for them.

7. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Do u have a home depot or lowes? construction sand is what we use. it's like $4.44 for 60 lb bag.

8. brownsunshine

brownsunshine Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Ripley, WV
    thank you so much for these great ideas! i didn't realise that i could give the chickens treats [​IMG] we got an iguana last year and their diets are SOO limited, so when i got the chickens i have been as careful as well.

9. arohli

arohli Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    North Bend, WA
    Our 6 week old chicks get a small plate of cut up red grapes every night before bedtime. They go absolutey bonkers for grapes...it's quite the feeding frenzy, but I make sure everyone gets some. Treats are so much fun!

10. Daphne16

Daphne16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    My 3 5 week olds and 3 10 week olds go nuts for hardboiled eggs (leftover from Easter eggs). They get 1 cut up a day and it is hilarious. They also get the heals of bread that no one will eat. It is so funny to watch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by