Gotta keep the golf balls warm!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Egglad, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Egglad

Egglad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    We've had below 0 temps overnight here lately, and one of our EE's has just started giving us a beautiful green egg for the last 3 days. We have been finding them outside of the nest box. Because of the cold temps DH put a very small heat lamp in the coop just to give them some extra heat, and also put golf balls in each of the 3 nest boxes so she would know where the eggs belong. He went out to feed them this morning, and found all 3 of the golf balls centered under the heat lamp in the middle of the coop! Funny chickies!

2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Chickens do some of the funniest things. Maybe they are trying to hatch them LOL.

3. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] too cute

4. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    LOL Too funny.

We got snow yesterday -- coldest day we've had so far. My BR pullet slept in the nest box that has the ceramic egg instead of on the perch. I guess she COULD be going broody, but it made me think that maybe she's wanting to keep that fake egg warm. There was a silkie gathered up the golf balls and was sitting on them, but that's not unusual.

Love the image of the hens gathering golf balls together under a light tho!!!

5. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    chickens are goofy

6. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] That is hilarious. How our chickens can make us laugh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by